Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with restore

• Please log in to reply

Debsk

Debsk

• Pip
  • 8 posts

My Dell Inspiron won't boot up at all.  We've tried the various Function keys and it won't restore.  After hitting the function key it goes to a black screen with the cursor in upper left corner.  We can not locate our Windows disc, since we have moved numerous times over the past few years:-(  Any help would be great!! thanks a lot!!

Advertisements

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Hi :welcome:

I can give you download link to the Recovery Environment, but first I need you to tell me what version is installed there: 32- or 64-bit.

Later on I can assist with the whole procedure if needed :)

Cheers,
Naat :)

Debsk

Debsk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

thanks for the help!! 

"I can give you download link to the Recovery Environment, but first I need you to tell me what version is installed there: 32- or 64-bit."  I have no idea???  I can't even get the computer up at all:-(  how can I find this out?

Thanks,

Debbie

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Nice to meet you Debbie :)

OK, we need to figure it out somehow. Tell me what windows was installed - Vista or 7?
Also provide me some more information about about the brand and the model of your machine. Maybe these will help me to better assess your situation.

Edited by Naathim, 29 April 2014 - 09:36 AM.

Debsk

Debsk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Nice to meet you too!! 

Windows 7 was installed, it's a Dell Inspiron

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
You need to be more specific with the model.
Turn your machine upside down and you should be able to find a tag (or a label) with the exact model name/number.
There should be also a sticker with the System identifier, if it came preinstalled. Try to find it also and rewrite the system version here (only version, not the activation credentials).

Keep me informed :)
Naat

Debsk

Debsk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Sorry for the delay, I'm at work...model name - Inspiron 1440, #PP42L  windows 7 home premium OA Dell 0MW08G ...may be 6G, can't tell...under that is the following #:  00196-060-354-687;  do you need the Product key?

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
No, leave the key in secret. And don't worry about the delays, I'm currently also available from mobile :)

Give me some time to research and I should come back to you shortly :)

Debsk

Debsk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

great, thanks so much for the help!!

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Ok, so I am unable to determine if the system is 32 or 64 bit. We will give a shot to both options, I suppose.

We will need the access to an operational machine and a thumbdrive (flash drive) of at least 1 GB. Is it possible?

Also please check if are you able to enter BIOS options, by pressing Del button during startup. Don't change anything there.

Advertisements

Debsk

Debsk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I will have to find the thumbdrive, I know we have one somewhere!!  and I'll have to see if I can download something onto a thumbdrive from my work computer, I know I wasn't able to at my old job...but maybe here...if not, maybe the library???  my husband thinks we have a 64 bit.  he said there is no Dell button, only a windows button...  I will have to check on the flashdrive first though, when I get home...

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Debbie, I was not mentioning Dell button but the Del one, as an abbreviation from Delete :)
Please check this one and report here :)

Debsk

Debsk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Oh, I'll check that! ! Thanks

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Keep me informed :)

Debsk

Debsk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I held Delete and got "a disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+delete to reRecovery..."(plus a couple weird characters)