Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Tasklock' stymies my computer - what is it and how to delete

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Searching a couple of fora with the word tasklock reveals nothing There are a few entries in Google search but not helpful for me.

It seems that there are many apps that provide tasklock and I don't know which is infecting my computer (not this one).

During downloading Speccy this Tasklock suddenly appeared as a blue screen with a password box  and a message saying 'the tasklock is not open'. It has a weird method to get back to Windows which doesn't always work and then clicking on anything else brings back the Tasklock blue screen so I cannot do anything else - this happens in Chrome. Changing to IE is OK but with the new IE threat I don't like to hang around in it.

I thought that Speccy(Piriform) was connected but apparenty not.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this app and how to get rid of it? Very happy to get advice please.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Go into the Settings in Chrome.  (Three parallel bars in the upper right then Settings.)  Then Extensions.  Uncheck the enabled box on all extensions.  Close Chrome and Reopen Chrome.  Do you still have the problem?  If not then one of the extensions is the problem.  Figure out which one and delete it.  If that doesn't help then

you need to post in the malware forum.  Make sure you include your OTL log as required by the top post in the forum.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Thank you for responding.

Unfortunately I cannot connect to the internet with the affected computer, for some reason. at the moment to check if problem is solved. I had only one extension, Google Docs. At least unconnected  the Tasklock didn't appear.

Also I wanted to see what 'High Contrast' was like (Alt+Left Shift+PrtScr setup) and now I cannot or it won't turn it off which makes clarity rather difficult.

So until I can sort out the connection (using the same router as used here) I can't advise now but I hope soon.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Good News!

I did a restart, many I have done before, and it connected to the router without Tasklock.

With the connection. I suppose, more extensions  appeared. In case there is something there I'll try to post the OTL log.

Now I have to try to 'off' the High Contrast which only affects the Address bar, task bar in Chrome.

Edited by Plutox, 01 May 2014 - 04:31 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

High Contrast:

http://answers.micro...5b-567ee05dd62b

Tasklock sounds like a demo version of http://download.cnet...4-10006281.html  There should be an option to uninstall it in Programs and Features.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Thanks very much for that.

The cnet I had come across before but not the 1st link which with so many solutions - one proved successful from page 3 of 'Shadows in Grey' who advised:-

I've found many people looking for an answer for this of late. 

Right click on my computer > properties (windows 7)
click advanced system settings.
Click the advanced tab
Then click on settings for performance.
Set to best performance.        [Then Apply  then (my addition)]
click ok and get out of the system properties.
close the system dialog window.
Restart the computer.
Personalize as needed.
The end.

Yes it worked!  
Very grateful.