Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Download problems

download incomplete IE Chrome

• Please log in to reply

THX1136

THX1136

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Could not find a forum this fits into, but still wanted some advice. I am having problems downloading from one particular site. I get a link to the file via email. I am downloading a 53 Mb mp3 file - a radio program that airs at the station I work for. Doesn't make any difference what browser I am using - I have tried it in IE and Chrome. The download ends as though it is a complete download, but I only end up with about a fourth of the file or less. I download a similar file from a different site and have no problems.

Over a year ago when I first started downloading this audio I initially had no problems. After a couple of months I would get a "network error" while downloading and the download would abort. At some point after doing a registry repair I could download without issue. I now have the issue as described above. I have maintained the computer in a better state than previously. I understand that does not completely rule out problems on my end.

I am uncertain as to where to look for fixing this issue. I am assuming I am unique in this as the file in question is distributed to several other folks. The provider of the audio has not made mention of others having a problem. When I had the earlier problem the provider said the issue must be on my end. As such, I have not brought this new issue up as I figure the provider's stance will be unchanged from my previous experience.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Do you have another computer connected to the same network to test?

Maybe the connection drops for some reason, browsers aren't very good handling that, you could try with a download manager like Free Download Manager download the Lite version.

THX1136

THX1136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

4 different computers - all have the same result regardless of whether IE or Chrome is used. What throws me is that a similar length file from a different source has no issue whatsoever. Could it be a server issue as opposed to something on my end? 

I will check into your suggestion so I can check my side of the equation. Thanks for your time and input.

Edited by THX1136, 03 May 2014 - 11:18 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

4 different computers - all have the same result regardless of whether IE or Chrome is used. What throws me is that a similar length file from a different source has no issue whatsoever. Could it be a server issue as opposed to something on my end? 

Yes it could but in that case other users would also complain of the same problem.

Two other possible points of failure your router and your Internet Service Provider. Power off the modem/router wait a few minutes the connect it again.

THX1136

THX1136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Thanks for the additional thoughts. My thought on it being on the other side was not thought out properly - especially since I assume none of the other folks the file is distributed to are having issues. I have already tried restarting the router and our firewall. This made no difference with this issue. I downloaded FDM, but could not run it even though it appeared to install correctly (tried both as admin and user). I'm looking for another download manager that may work. I'll update when I get one that will run for me.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Thanks for the additional thoughts. My thought on it being on the other side was not thought out properly - especially since I assume none of the other folks the file is distributed to are having issues. I have already tried restarting the router and our firewall. This made no difference with this issue. I downloaded FDM, but could not run it even though it appeared to install correctly (tried both as admin and user). I'm looking for another download manager that may work. I'll update when I get one that will run for me.

That is very strange, FDM doesn't run and no errors?

Be carefully locking for a Download Manager most of the supposedly free ones include junk that you probably don't want...

THX1136

THX1136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I found another one, MiPony, and it downloaded and installed fine. Tried it on the file in question and it showed that it could not read the file and only downloaded 3%. I uninstalled MiPony. I went to CNET and downloaded FDM a second time. It appeared to download and install fine. I could still not get it to run. My guess is I'm doing something wrong on my end.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

I found another one, MiPony, and it downloaded and installed fine. Tried it on the file in question and it showed that it could not read the file and only downloaded 3%. I uninstalled MiPony. I went to CNET and downloaded FDM a second time. It appeared to download and install fine. I could still not get it to run. My guess is I'm doing something wrong on my end.

I suppose the file in question isn't publicly available for testing?

THX1136

THX1136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Here's a link I got yesterday. Don't know if it will still be live. Let me know what happens. Thanks!

http://kevinmccullou...20140506KMC.mp3

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

I have the problem downloading, it stops in the middle.

* Hostname was NOT found in DNS cache
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0*
  Trying 50.63.101.1...
* Connected to kevinmccullough.net (50.63.101.1) port 80 (#0)
> GET /XtreMEDIA_Media_Store/Media/20140506KMC.mp3 HTTP/1.1
> User-Agent: curl/7.36.0
> Host: kevinmccullough.net
> Accept: */*
>
< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 20:09:55 GMT
* Server Apache is not blacklisted
< Server: Apache
< Last-Modified: Tue, 06 May 2014 18:53:44 GMT
< ETag: "359039a-4f8bfc4615e00"
< Accept-Ranges: bytes
< Content-Length: 56165274
< Cache-Control: max-age=2592000
< Expires: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 20:09:55 GMT
< Content-Type: audio/mpeg
<
{ [data not shown]
 27 53.5M   27 14.6M    0     0   152k      0  0:06:00  0:01:38  0:04:22 37129*
transfer closed with 40848421 bytes remaining to read
 27 53.5M   27 14.6M    0     0   152k      0  0:06:00  0:01:38  0:04:22 34898
* Closing connection 0
curl: (18) transfer closed with 40848421 bytes remaining to read

I did the same test from my work where we have more bandwidth and it worked without any problem. Maybe the server have some timeout because the download takes longer due to low bandwidth!

THX1136

THX1136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I assume when you say server timeout you mean on their end, yes? As I mentioned I download another program of a similar length from a different source and have no issues. Also, up until maybe 3 weeks ago I had no issues with the file/source you checked. I think our download rates are around the 2 Mb/sec range - that fluctuates as you mostly likely know. What would be a good next step for me to take?

Thank you for taking the time to help with this issue. I greatly appreciate it.

Edited by THX1136, 08 May 2014 - 07:08 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

I assume when you say server timeout you mean on their end, yes?

Yes.

As I mentioned I download another program of a similar length from a different source and have no issues. Also, up until maybe 3 weeks ago I had no issues with the file/source you checked. I think our download rates are around the 2 Mb/sec range - that fluctuates as you mostly likely know. What would be a good next step for me to take?

Thank you for taking the time to help with this issue. I greatly appreciate it.

I don't think you can do more from your side, in my opinion the server administrator should check the apache log looking for errors when you did the transfer, eventually the web server recorded the error and that info would help when searching for solutions.

Natalie Green

Natalie Green

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

try download manager to download ad these are quite helpful in doing so. There are different downloader that can help you out in this. There must be connection problem , try to get a stable connection.