Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firewall and Avast Free AV?

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

To save memory space, I removed AVGFree antivirus from my XP desktop  and installed the Avast Free program. Now I am not sure I still have a firewall. Can someone please tell me how I can check whether or not the firewall is there? Thanks. ...batpark

Advertisements

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts

Hi batpark,

If I remember correctly you can view all of your security monitoring from the Security Center.

Start > Control Panel > Security Center.

It should tell you in there if your firewall needs attention.

Hopefully you will see something like this:

security2.jpg

If it tells you that there is not firewall turned on, look to the bottom of the Security Center window - it should say

Manage Security Settings for:

click on the Windows Firewall icon there.

This should open the control for the firewall, where you can turn it on.

Note:

Please make sure that you are not running 2 or more firewalls, this won't help you at all.

Also, please consider dumping Windows XP, it's reached it's end of life, and there will be no more security patches for it.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Assume you are talking XP since that is what your profile says.  The Windows XP firewall service is called

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

so open the services window, scroll down and see if it says it is started.

(Start, Run, services.msc , OK)

It should be Started if not, right click on it and select Properties then change the Startup Type: to Automatic and Apply then Try to Start the Service.

You can also test it with Shieldsup!

www.grc.com

A few notes on Avast since you are new to it:

Some people object to the voice notification of updates.  To turn it off, click on the Avast ball then on Settings then on Appearance.  Then on Sounds and uncheck Automatic Updates OK.  (It will still update it just won't tell you about in a loud voice in the middle of the night.)

They have also started using their info popup to try and get you to upgrade so I go into Settings, Appearance, Popups and change the first two to 1 second.

If you haven't registered already then right click on the orange ball and select Registration Information and click on the link.  (They just want you name and email address).  The registration is good for 12-14 months then you will need to register again.  They will, of course, try to talk you into buying the product but you can always register again for another year free tho it may not be the default.

Avast has a great boot-time scan which you should run once in a while.  It takes many hours so I usually set it up to run while I sleep:

First mute the speakers so it won't wake you up when Windows loads.  Click on the Orange ball.  Click on Scans.  Change Quickscan to Boot-time Scan.  Click on Settings.  Where it says Heuristic Sensitivity click on the last rectangle so that all of them are  orange and it says High.  Check both boxes.  Then change When a threat is found ... to:  Move to Chest.  OK.  Now click on Start.  Close the Avast window and then reboot.  The scan will start.  It will tell you where it will save the report.  Usually it's 
 C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\report\aswBoot.txt but it might change so verify the location.  When Windows loads Click on the Orange Ball then Scan, Then Scan History (at the bottom of the page). Click on the last scan and then Detailed Report.  If it found anything then open the aswBoot.txt file and copy and paste it.  If you can't find it then take a screen shot of the Detailed Report: