Welcome Guest to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Feel free to browse the site as a guest. However, you must log in to reply to existing topics or start a new topic of your own, and enjoy all this forum has to offer. Additionally, if you can assist another member by sharing your knowledge, please post a reply! Best of all - Registration and all assistance, is FREE! Learn more about How it Works. Infected? Malware Cleaning Guide. What are you waiting for?
Create an Account Login to Account

Norton launches identity login screen

• Please log in to reply

xclr8

xclr8

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi

i recently loaded norton's internet security 2005 on my win2000 machine. the software runs great except for a weird glitch. every so often, (and i don't know what the interval is yet), my outlook express indentity login pops up by itself. i use 2 different indentities and i have both passworded. what's even more weird is that both identities are greyed out so you can't select either, you can only close the login box. it's like norton is trying to use or checking something with my outlook express every so often. i'm positive, for sure it's the norton, this computer has been up for 2 years and didn't start this until i installed the norton. everything is updated, patches, service packs, norton, etc.

i have a guess about the interval, my norton live-update checks for updates every 4 hours, but i haven't verified this.

any suggestions?

thx

Advertisement

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi Xclr8. Welcome to Geeks to Go. I think I would go to Symantec.com and open a case with their tech support. They should be able to fix it for you. You request assistance via their web site and they will communicate with you by email.

xclr8

xclr8

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i did that after a few days of no response on the forum. i figured it was too much of an oddity and i was probably in the 1/1000th of one percent, of computers owners that have this problem ;)

i'm just waiting for symantec's reply. i will post the solution if and when they send me one :tazz:

thx for your help

Edited by xclr8, 11 June 2005 - 08:30 AM.

xclr8

xclr8

• Pip
  • 5 posts
here is their response:

Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.

I understand that your Outlook Express (OE) identity login pops up by itself and the identities are grayed out.

xclr8, the issue can occur if any sort of virus or threat is infected in your computer.

I recommend that you run the online Symantec Security Check (SSC). Symantec Security Check is a free service designed to help you understand your computer's exposure to online security intrusions and virus threats. Using the SSC, you can -
1) Scan for Security risks.
2) Scan for Viruses.

Please click on the link provided below to go to Symantec Security Check.

>Web URL:
http://security.symantec.com

If any virus is detected on your system, you need to contact Symantec’s Virus Removal Consulting Service as they are better trained to handle such issues. In order to do so, please refer to the link provided below:
> Web URL:
http://www.symantec....hone_virus.html

Note that Symantec's virus removal consulting service is a fee based service.

Also, the issue can occur due to any component of Norton Internet Security (NIS) popping the login box.

To check I suggest that you disable each component of Norton Internet Security (NIS) separately and check whether the issue persists.

-Open NIS.
-Make sure you are logged in as Supervisor of NIS.

For more information on this subject refer the document below:

Title: 'Configuring Parental Control and user accounts for Norton Internet Security'
Document ID: 2001080113323336
> Web URL: http://service1.syma...src=con_ols_nam

-After logging in as Supervisor of NIS, please click on Status and Settings.

Following are the components of the Norton Internet Security (NIS):

1. Outbreak Alert
2. Personal Firewall
3. Intrusion Detection
4. Privacy Control
5. Ad Blocking
6. Parental Control
7. Norton AntiSpam

Please click on the components one by one and then click on “Turn Off" button present on the firewall main window. Then, check if the issue still persists. If the issue does not occur anymore, then it means that this component was the cause of concern. If the issue still occurs after turning off the component, re-enable it and turn off a different component. Follow the same procedure to see if that is a cause of concern.

In order to assist us help you resolve this issue, please write back to us with the results of the above procedure in the same order. This will help us determine which particular component causes this issue.

Thank you for your patience and co-operation. We are looking forward to assist you.

Regards,

Sujith Prasad
Symantec Authorized Technical Support

i know it's not a virus, duh, i just loaded norton and scanned everything, and scanned with ad-aware and hijackthis.
i just turned off the live update. that should take care of it i believe, i will manually update daily. will let everyone know in a day or two.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
So, did you try turning off each feature one by one to see if you can identify which one is causing the pop up? That is really all I got out of it. I have used Nortons on line virus scan. It is ok but I like trendmicro better. Norton thinks it could be a virus threat. Maybe it is, maybe not. Wouldn't hurt to work through their suggestions. If you want to try an on line scan, I suggest http://housecall.trendmicro.com/. It has found stuff for me that Norton didn't find (and I have been using Norton for a long time now).

xclr8

xclr8

• Pip
  • 5 posts
yes,

i scanned and found no viruses. then i did the other in reverse, i disabled everything at once and i was going to enable them one at at time. i thought this would save time and it did! even with them all disabled, it still does it.
i did get it to stop doing it, can anyone guess how???????? yep, that's right, i uninstalled norton and behold, it stopped. i'm still waiting on norton for another reply.

xclr8

xclr8

• Pip
  • 5 posts
here is the second reply from symantec. will let you guys know if i decide to reinstall. you shouldn't have to do all that just to install a program. i know how to edit the registry but you shouldn't have to for an installation.

Welcome back. Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.

I apologize for the inconvenience that you have had to face.

I understand that the Outlook Express program was still popping login window with Norton Internet Security (NIS) disabled.

One of the main reasons for the issue can be due to some conflicts with Norton program and Outlook Express (OE) during windows startup.

To resolve, I suggest that you clean boot and reinstall NIS.

Please note that before installing NIS, I suggest that you perform a clean boot to avoid conflicts with any software. Clean boot is a restart of Windows with no applications running and with as few extra drivers loading as possible. Please click on the URL to perform a clean boot:

Title: 'Configuring Windows 2000 to clean boot'
Document ID: 2000110615402439
>Web URL:
http://service1.syma...src=con_ols_nam

Please refer the document provided below to install NIS from CD:

Title: 'Installing Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall 2005 from the CD'
Document ID: 2004090714323036

NOTE:

1. Please ensure that during the registration process, you provide the same information that you provided during the first registration. This will ensure that you retain the same account that was created during the initial registration.

For additional assistance on running LiveUpdate, please refer to the link provided below:

Title: 'How to run LiveUpdate'
Document ID: 1999121613163206

Please feel free to contact us for further assistance.

Regards,

Sujith Prasad
Symantec Authorized Technical Support

Advertisement