Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TempSBE

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

O.k. i may have posted this issue once before, thought i corrected it and found the culprit.

Files are being written in a hidden folder C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\TempRec\TempSBE
They are as big as 2GB .

I see these files by using a program called TreeSize Pro.

At first i suspected it was Hauppauge's WinTV tuner card software i have in the system doing this. But it turned out this was not the cause of these files being written.

Turns out from research online from others, it is Windows Media Center doing it.

Temp.SBE, SBE standing for Stream Buffer Engine, which allows you to pause LiveTV. They should be in the Recorded TV\TempRec\TempSBE folder which are a hidden file.

What's strange to me is i do not Record Live TV ,never have so far, so why in a folder that is named Recorded TV,  if it for pausing live TV ? :no:

Question is how to stop this process and what other effects would it have on Windows Media Center if i do ?

I thought it had to do with WMC downloading possibly TV Guide updates.

Anyone has a clue to how to stop it, i saw one thread that said to check here in Registry :

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\BackgroundScanner\PeriodicScanEnabled

And to make the DWord 0 for disabled     1 for  enabled.

When i go to this folder i find nothing in it at the time the 2Gigs are taken and i do have folder option settings to show hidden files and folders, Someone told me to also show  "Protected operating system file" to see them ,but as said i use TreeSize and see them.

If i reboot the PC, these files are gone.

Edited by jds63, 02 May 2014 - 02:45 PM.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

O.k. from research i did so far it seems that this is called Live TV Pause buffer for WMC.

Windows Live TV Buffer,  Buffer Size for Pausing Live TV is what is taking up  space in this folder i had mentioned.

In research there seems to be no way to disable this feature in WMC even if you do not pause, rewind or fast foward Live TV or want to, this is part of it's feature like a DVR.

I believe in this folder i previously mentioned is also where recorded Live TV would be also.

I am set to the default settings of 30min. which it writes the 2 GB on my drive,

BackingFileDuration the default is 300

Setting BackingFileDuration to "600" will give you 1 hour

Setting BackingFileDuration to "900" will give you 1.5 hours

Setting BackingFileDuration to "1200" will give you 2 hours

These are the settings you can change in the registry.

But no way to disable, just make the number 0, then when watching Live TV, i believe pause,rewind,fast foward most likely will not work then.

So i assume i am stuck on having it write the 2GB's on my drive, it is not permanent i know.

Edited by jds63, 02 May 2014 - 06:40 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Seems like there must be a service associated with this feature but I can't find anything about it.

What about changing the ownership of C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\TempRec\TempSBE so the System can't write there?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Seems like there must be a service associated with this feature but I can't find anything about it.

What about changing the ownership of C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\TempRec\TempSBE so the System can't write there?

Hi Ztruker,

You mean in Services, i looked there, nothing either ?

There is a Windows Media Center reciever service and Windws Media Scheduler service in Services, both are set to Manual.

But i believe disabling any of these will render WMC not to work at all.

Not sure on 1. How to change ownership, 2. If i would really want to do that.

Saw one article on making the directory go to a USB Flash Drive, but would need to always have this thumb drive in the USB port all the time then.

Not such a big deal i have enough HD space to accompany the 2GB is uses, just makes no sense there is no settings to disable it easier.

Edited by jds63, 02 May 2014 - 08:55 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

See if Process Explorer shows you anything useful. You may be bale to see which process has that file open, which may then lead to how to disable it.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

See if Process Explorer shows you anything useful. You may be bale to see which process has that file open, which may then lead to how to disable it.

Zt, ty, but i use TreeSize Pro, you recommended it to me on Windows 8 forum. Process explorer is similiar to this.

I am 98% sure this is WMC writing these files, before that i thought it was WinTV that  i also do have.

C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\TempRec\TempSBE this is where they are going shown in tree size, there are usually 4 files and each are  498MB.

These files only can be seen without using TreeSize if i uncheck "Hide Protected Operating system files" in folder options

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

O.k., this topic has been solved.

Spoke to Microsoft and about these files being written to this hidden folder,TempSBE are due to WMC.

Seems from what i understood is they write these files for pausing Live TV, like a DVR, but it does it ahead of time i notice before i even watch Live TV.

This happens everyday on my PC, 2GB's in this folder and no way of deleting them even if i uncheck "Hide Protected System Files " in folder options.

So if i want to have WMC i just have to learn to live with it, not such a big deal, but a flaw in this software i felt, not being a way to disable it.

Thanks for looking..............

Edited by jds63, 07 May 2014 - 06:59 PM.