Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hotspot and pc connection issue reading dns server

• Please log in to reply

joka74

joka74

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ive done everything I can find online and who knows if something ive done at this point has made it so I have fixed it but its another issue now... my pc connects but with no internet... I have checked made sure everything is on auto compiter says its configured right but its not reading the dns server I even ran as administrator and did the ipconfig dns flush restore and renew series... ive been able to get it to say internet access but then doesnt work when I try and it goes back to not reading the dns server I have no idea why and its driving me nuts can anyone plz help me?

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Open your device manager, hit the start button then copy and paste devmgmt.msc into the start search box hit enter.

Left click the + next to network adapters, right click and un-install your wireless driver and your ethernet driver, make sure and do not tick the box that says delete driver.

Then, click the View menu and select Show hidden devices
Then hit view again and select devices by connection.
Then scroll down right click and uninstall the drivers listed below,dont worry these will be reinstalled upon reboot by windows.

• Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock
  • Net BT
  • Http
  • Net Io Legacy Support Driver
  • Tcp/ip Protical Driver
  • Tcp/ip Registry Compatibility
  • NSI proxy Service
  • ide channel
  • Nd Proxy
  • Security Driver
  • Security Processor Loader Driver
  • Windows Firewall Authorization Driver

Each of these files will request a reboot after uninstall wait until the last one to reboot.

Run This to find the best dns server for your machine, shut down your antivirus while it runs.

Then once the tool has completed, and displayed the best DNS for your machine, apply the settings.
Open an Elevated Command Prompt
Copy and paste the content of the code box, one at a time hitting enter after each.

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

Then disable Ipv6 with this Ms Fixit.

Remove the tunnel adapters, with this Ms Fixit.

Download TCP Optimizer.
Save it to your desktop.
Right Click Run As Administrator.
At the bottom right hand corner, of TCP optimizer select optimal
The hit apply, ok, and ok again then reboot.

joka74

joka74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ill give it a shot im a bit computer illiterate cuz I was un able to to use any for almost a decade...ill let u know.what happens and thank u gor ur quick reply I should be able to try it by the end of the night... again ty

joka74

joka74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
There was only one adapter setting and I deleted the only thing in it and now it says my ati graphics driver is gone... I dont think that was suppose to happen and I cant figure out how to disable the stupid avg.... im lost I went to start and typed in that first thing and opened the only thing that came up and went to something adapters... and this is what happened... I also dont see the ethernet thing and dont know how to find it..... what now?

joka74

joka74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I found the network adapters.... there is microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter my net gear wnda3100v2 n 600 wireless dual band usb adapter.... I no longer have the disc for that to re install it if it gets uninstalled my wife lost it and realtek pcie fe family controller what ever that is.... what do I do and which one?

joka74

joka74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Jist did a system restore idk how to disable this avg stuff and im so frustrated

joka74

joka74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok got the system restore to work and got the ati back thank god.... now about the drivers which one do I uninstall out of them its the net gear that uses the hotspot and if thats the one will I get it back without having the disc to reinstall it?

joka74

joka74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Im also not sure what an ethernet driver is.... I googled it but didnt find much

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

joka74

We understand that computer problems can be frustrating but we are all volunteers here and cannot be on hand 24/7, if you have waited for 3 days or more but not received any reply post in the Waiting Room here and someone will get back to you asap.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post as much information as you can about the hardware and how it connects to the internet, wireless router etc, providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Have you checked the software/driver downloads and troubleshooting information provided by NetGear for your USB wireless device here

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

joka74

joka74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok and sorry I.was frustrated with my.pc and me.being.computer illiterate. I appreciate the help.... its a dell desktop and I believe the original owner who was my friend did a custom.build thru dell on a website but I am not entirely sure I belive its a 64 bit I think I am not good with this stuff at all. The net gear my pc is telling me.is working correctly I got locked up and lost all my discs and stuff bit the pc... the only internet access I have at this point is my phone and my wifes tablet that is connected thru the phones hotspot as I am trying to do with my desk top ... I dont.know where to find a series number.... is there.anything.else I can provide to try and help?.... I tried a trouble shoot from the incoming connection it said a possible firewall block so I ran as admin with autofix and it said it fixed it but it didnt after clicking the continue button it said the fix was not solved and more.info was needed but not what was needed or a way to give it...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Now we know that you are attempting to use a mobile phone as a hotspot to connect your Dell desktop computer to the internet and using a Netgear wireless dongle  :thumbsup:

As you have a tablet that is able to access the internet there will have been a password applied at some point and this will need to be entered in Windows to pair your Netgear wireless device to the phone and ultimately allow you access to the internet.

Please confirm that you know the password (only you and your Wife should know it).

Tell us what OS you are using as in Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 etc, this so we can find the correct procedure for setting up the computer to allow you to enter the security information that will be needed.

Two final questions that needs to be asked, are you aware of the costs of using a mobile phone as a hotspot and is connecting the computer to the internet through the phone permitted by the signal provider/carrier.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Thanks Phillpower for stepping in on this I have been busy with work. :)

joka74

joka74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I was able to.solve this finally by un instaling going to action and scanning for sytem changes and fixing it..... ty u tho for trying to help me and getting back to me. I truely appreciate it.... I have a new issue now with a software program I cant figure out lol it never ends

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

What might that be?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

You are most welcome rockmilk  :)  :thumbsup: