I did set up Privoxy, I wanted to keep the tabs the popups opened away from my real IP and stuff. Yeah I only have uTorrent because my old Sim City 3 disk no longer works so I decided to torrent it. How can I tell if someone has remote access to my pc? Also, should I uninstall uTorrent? Will that benefit me in any way?
Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:15 AM
Okay thanks for letting me know. Just to let you know, Privoxy won't actually stop them getting your IP, but it isn't something to worry about - people are very overprotective of their IP addresses
You can never be 100% sure if someone has remote access to your computer, but I'm very confident that nobody does as there's nothing in the logs, nor are the tools picking up anything.
I would stay away from uTorrent all together to be honest - while the program is perfectly safe, and legal, to have, when you start illegally downloading files you will find you download more than you bargain for. This is a very common method of infecting computers but fortunately it's easily avoidable.
A little bit more left to fix:
- Run OTL.
- Copy (Ctrl+C) and Paste (Ctrl+V) all of the following text into the Custom Scans/Fixes box:
:Files C:\ProgramData\IePluginService dir /a C:\Windows\Microsoft /c
- Click the Run Fix button.
- After your computer has rebooted, run OTL and click Quick Scan.
- Copy and paste the contents of the log that it produces into your next post.
Please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner
Vista / Win7 users: Right-click on the either the IE or FF icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator.
Note: This scan works with Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.
If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.
- Click the green ESET Online Scanner box
then click on: Start
- You may see a panel towards the top of the screen telling you the website wants to install an addon... click and allow it to install. If your firewall asks whether you want to allow installation, say yes.
- Make sure that the option Scan archives is checked.
- Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
- Scan for potentially unwanted applications
- Scan for potentially unsafe applications
- Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
- Click on Start
- The virus signature database will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
- When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically. The scan may take several hours.
- Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
- When completed select Uninstall application on close, make sure you copy the logfile first!
- Then click on: Finish
- Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
- Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.
Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:42 AM
I haven't heard from you in a few days, is everything okay? Threads are usually closed after 3 days of inactivity but if you need more time then that's no problem at all, just let me know.
Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:25 AM
If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: popup, windows 8, sadness, Steam, Chrome, adsdelivery1.com, adcash.com, 123srv.com, 2.m2pub.com
Hardware, Components and Peripherals →
Operating Systems →
Windows XP, 2000, 2003, NT →
Operating Systems →
Windows Vista and Windows 7 →
Mobile Apps, Games and Themes →
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users