Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot open any file on Seagate 320mb external drive (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
 I just noticed that the cable is loose inside the jack.

Please elaborate.

Some info regarding HP power adapter issues etc here

Advertisements

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Well, the pin inside the connector is still straight and centered but there seems to be a lot of "play" or looseness when I plug in the cord to the jack. It may just be my imagination but I do not recall it being that loose. When I wiggle it around while it's plugged in it doesn't shut the computer down so I take that to mean it isn't causing any issues. I Googled' the "plugged in not charging" issue and there are literally hundreds of posts about that but that's a whole 'nother thing. What do you think about a system recovery back to it's original factory condition? I'm getting weird things like updates failing to install and that's never happened.

BTW...I sincerely appreciate all your suggestions and help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Hold off on the back to factory restore for now please.

Allow the battery to fully run out of charge and then hook up the AC adapter to see if the battery will charge up to 100%, if it does we will take a look at any other issues.

You are most welcome btw  :)

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

The AC starts to charge the battery for about 10 seconds and then goes into the "not charging" mode again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Is this after letting the battery drain of all charge.

Is the replacement battery is a genuine HP branded item.

Will the computer run without the battery as in using only the AC adapter.

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

I let the battery drain completely

It is a genuine HP battery

The computer runs on AC

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Would this have anything to do with the issue?  Computer has been trying install these three updates for several days and it fails each time.

Update Failure.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Go into the Device Manager, any yellow ! or red X against the battery, click on this and you should see two entries Microsoft AC adapter and Microsoft ACPI-CCMB, try updating the drivers for both of these.

HP AC adapter troubleshooting steps here

Have you read the "Get help with this error" information, if yes what was suggested.

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

All drivers have the latest updates so no help there.  Also, no yellow ! or Red x in Device Manager. I've checked the AC adapter for excessive heat and it seems only warm to me. No damage anyplace,all connectors secured.

Interestingly,by wiggling the power cord where it plugs into the computer I have got it to charge for brief moments to the point it's up to 28% charged. But even with that it only charges for a few seconds and then stops so I'm definitely thinking power cord problem.

Funny thing about the updates is that Windows Update shows that updates were applied to my computer at 5:51 AM this morning but the same three as attached did not install(again).

I realize this thread has gotten far off track but I am learning a lot! Here is a snapshot of Windows Updates.

Slide1.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Do you have a local store that you could take the notebook to and have them try one of their AC adapters, many will do this in the hope of making a sale, if their charger works ok it may point to your AC adapter being bad but if it does not charge it points towards the DC power jack on the notebook being bad.

I note from your screenshot that the failed updates are for 32-bit applications etc when the specs that you provided are Windows 7 64-bit, as a + your AV is updating ok.

Download then run Speccy and post the resultant url for us please, details here

Advertisements

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

I apologize for not responding sooner but the computer will not stay on for more than a minute or two. I have ordered a new HP power cord and it should be delivered sometime next week. Hopefully that will allow me to get back to this and see it through to resolution. I appreciate your patience.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Not a problem 6stringer  :thumbsup:

I would feel better if you had been able to get a local tech store try one of their AC adapters first, hopefully the new AC adapter resolves the issue though.

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

New power cord arrived and battery charged to 100% from 0%. Here is the Speccy URL.

http://speccy.pirifo...WOksMXHzV7QoaIj

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Glad to hear that the AC adapter purchase has worked out  :thumbsup:

Speccy shows that the failed updates are or have installed, is everything up to date now.

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

I guess we can consider this one closed successfully. Thank you for all the helpful suggestions and recommendations.

Geeks to Go ROCKS!