Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC locking up and freezing.

locking up freezing crashing

• Please log in to reply

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Hi again averysadman,

In all honesty I am not a fan of 8GB modules and would not recommend using them unless it was absolutely necessary to be able to run particular memory demanding programs, using 8GB modules that are not on the QVL is a gamble as no one is providing a guarantee that they will work ok.

I suggest that while the computer is running ok you run the Crucial system scanner tool and see what is suggested, if it suggests that 8GB modules are ok it is a step in the right direction, let us know what the results are please.

Hi, I ran the crucial scanner and these are my results: http://uk.crucial.co...ssocType=MEMORY

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello folks

Good news that you can get 2 X 8GB modules that are guaranteed to work.

Are the 2 X 4GB sticks still running ok.

Some AMD information regarding memory and FX 8350 CPU compatibility

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Consider installing RAM natively supported by your CPU.

100% tested at 1866MHz in AMD 990FX & Kaveri APU based motherboards

http://www.overclock...rodid=MY-004-AM

> spec sheet, https://docs.google..../pdf/RP1866.pdf

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Hello folks

Good news that you can get 2 X 8GB modules that are guaranteed to work.

Are the 2 X 4GB sticks still running ok.

Some AMD information regarding memory and FX 8350 CPU compatibility

Hi, I've had the 2x4 running for 2 days now and not a single freeze. I think that's enough to pretty much be sure it's my RAM that's causing the problem. I think I'll switch back to my 2x8 tomorrow and then see if I get any crashes. What do you think to the AMD ram suggested below your comment? Looks pretty swish!

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Gday.

Consider installing RAM natively supported by your CPU.

100% tested at 1866MHz in AMD 990FX & Kaveri APU based motherboards

http://www.overclock...rodid=MY-004-AM

> spec sheet, https://docs.google..../pdf/RP1866.pdf

That looks pretty awesome. Didn't know AMD made their own RAM. And it would be nice to get something 100% guaranteed to work. Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Just a thought but did you try the 2 X 8GB sticks in your brothers build.

Is Windows and all other software fully up to date.

Do you have the latest version of the BIOS for the MB ( please do not flash it if you don`t ).

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Just a thought but did you try the 2 X 8GB sticks in your brothers build.

Is Windows and all other software fully up to date.

Do you have the latest version of the BIOS for the MB ( please do not flash it if you don`t ).

Hi, yeah my brother used my ram for 2 days and had no freezes at all. 

My OS and BIOS etc is all up to date yeah.

And I put my RAM back in this morning, no freezes yet but going to wait and see if it happens again. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

Put my RAM back in, and in about half the time i ran my brothers with 0 freezes, I froze. So I think i can safely say it is my RAM causing the problem. Shall I go ahead and order the AMD ram suggested by iammykyl in this thread? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

It would make sense as it supposedly guarantees compatibility, nice Ram but expensive though.

Can I ask what programs you use that require 16GB of Ram, if none it is a waste of your cash having 16GB as you will not even max out 8GB when gaming.

Advertisements

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

It would make sense as it supposedly guarantees compatibility, nice Ram but expensive though.

Can I ask what programs you use that require 16GB of Ram, if none it is a waste of your cash having 16GB as you will not even max out 8GB when gaming.

Yeah, going to sell my RAM as there's nothing wrong with it at all (evidenced by its working perfectly in my brother's rig, just not great with my mobo) which should net me back most of the £95 I paid for it as it's currently £115 on amazon I think. 

And no programs really, just my old laptop was always desperate for 2 things: RAM and cooling. So i decided with my new PC I was going to make sure it never struggled with either of those 2 things! So I went for 16GB. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

If you don't mind spending the cash then fine  :thumbsup:

The only 8GB Samsung Ram that I found that was on your MBs QVL is slower and marginally more expensive, see here

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

If you don't mind spending the cash then fine  :thumbsup:

The only 8GB Samsung Ram that I found that was on your MBs QVL is slower and marginally more expensive, see here

Yeah. well if I wanted the full 16GB the AMD ram suggested is 100% going to work isn't it? I thought it was tested with 100% success rate with AMD cpus on a 990fx - UD3 board. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

My choice would be the AMD.   It may be available as 2x4GB=8GB.   I would be reluctant to use the 1x8GB stick, mainly for safety, with 2 sticks and one fails, at least you can stilluse the system. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I don't see it stated anywhere 100% compatibility, there are 3 revisions of the 990fx - UD3, which version of board was the Ram tested with and which version of the board do you have, 2 X 4GB modules of Ram is all that you need + you still have the scope to add another 2 X 4GB modules in the future should you need to, btw, by the time we need to have 32GB of Ram your MB will have been retired for many, many years and so there is no gain to be had by using 8GB modules in any capacity.

AMDs list of partners

AMD Memory is designed to deliver memory that is optimized and certified for AMD Platforms and components and also delivers quality and reliability to compatible chipsets and processors from other manufacturers. High-quality DRAM parts (no ETT) help ensure no dropouts and no data loss. With AMD memory you get the performance you need for all your applications.

Features:
- Black PCB
- Black high performance heatspreaders
- SPD programmed at: JEDEC standard 9-9-9-24 values at 1333MHz.
- CAS Timings: 9-10-9-27
- Dual Channel Kit: (2x8GB)
- 100% tested at 1866MHz in AMD 990FX & Kaveri APU based motherboards
- Lifetime Warranty