Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC locking up and freezing.

locking up freezing crashing

• Please log in to reply

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Before you order any new Ram can you post a Speccy url for us please, details here

8GB modules do seem to be more problematic than the 4GB sticks, I cringe when I see people having computer issues and they only have a single 8GB stick of Ram as you know straight away that if the issue/s are ram related the person is going to be circa £125/$210 out of pocket after the initial loss and replacement costs.

http://speccy.pirifo...kCFg0tpx0J1zwgM

There's the URL. I've put my Kingston HyperX Red ram (2x8gb at 1600) back in as I've already returned the AMD ram. However while returning the AMD ram I did notice they actually sent me the wrong thing. I was just keen to get it unboxed and in the pc unwrapping it so I didn't notice until I removed it that it was "AMD Performance" not "AMD Gamer" so it COULD be that the performance series isn't tested on 990fx boards. But at this point I think i'm going to admit defeat and get 2 sets of 2x4 ram that are on the QVL.

Advertisements

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Before you order any new Ram can you post a Speccy url for us please, details here

8GB modules do seem to be more problematic than the 4GB sticks, I cringe when I see people having computer issues and they only have a single 8GB stick of Ram as you know straight away that if the issue/s are ram related the person is going to be circa £125/$210 out of pocket after the initial loss and replacement costs.

I'm still fairly sure the RAM is the problem. As I ran my brothers 2x4 king red flawlessly for 48 hours. I'm thinking I should either: buy 1 set of 2x4 king red, try it WITH his to see if i freeze with 16 and if I do then admit defeat and use 8. OR go ahead and stick in 16gb in 4x4GB of King red because its on my QVL. OR stick in 16GB of corsair vengeance etc which is on my QVL. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Looked at the Speccy report and noticed a couple of things of interest, for reference my reply #21 and your reply #22;

phillpower2, on 09 May 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:snapback.png

Just a thought but did you try the 2 X 8GB sticks in your brothers build.

Is Windows and all other software fully up to date.

Do you have the latest version of the BIOS for the MB ( please do not flash it if you don`t ).

Hi, yeah my brother used my ram for 2 days and had no freezes at all. 

My OS and BIOS etc is all up to date yeah.

Speccy is showing that your BIOS version is F2 yet the latest is 10a, I am not saying go ahead and flash it due to the potential that something may go wrong and hose your MB, Revision 8E was a memory upgrade release which is no longer available as a standalone upgrade and will have been integrated into F9.

The second thing that I noticed is that the memory controller voltage is marginally low at 1.488V when it should be stable at 1.5V.

Motherboard
Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model: 990FXA-UD3 (CPU 1)
Version: To be filled by O.E.M.
Chipset Vendor: AMD
Chipset Model: RD9x0
Chipset Revision: 02
Southbridge Vendor: AMD
Southbridge Model: SB910/950
Southbridge Revision: 40
System Temperature: 25 °C
BIOS
Brand: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: F2
Date: 15/07/2013
Voltage
CPU CORE: 1.236 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER: 1.488 V

Versions of BIOS here

A thread here for you to read, note the initial reply of sharkbyte5150

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

I think flashing the BIOS should be a last resort.

You may be on to something with the memory controller voltage though, can we bump that up to 1.5V somehow? A BIOS setting perhaps? 

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

I'm inclined to agree with avery. Considering the computer didn't freeze once with the 2x4 ram then id much rather just buy that than risk bricking my motherboard. Also I can buy the 2x4 and have a test at running the 4x4 to see if it works without freezing. So I think if the voltage adjustment doesnt work, it's time to admit defeat on the 8gb modules and go for 2x4 Kingston HyperX Red. 

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Looked at the Speccy report and noticed a couple of things of interest, for reference my reply #21 and your reply #22;

phillpower2, on 09 May 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:snapback.png

Just a thought but did you try the 2 X 8GB sticks in your brothers build.

Is Windows and all other software fully up to date.

Do you have the latest version of the BIOS for the MB ( please do not flash it if you don`t ).

Hi, yeah my brother used my ram for 2 days and had no freezes at all. 

My OS and BIOS etc is all up to date yeah.

Speccy is showing that your BIOS version is F2 yet the latest is 10a, I am not saying go ahead and flash it due to the potential that something may go wrong and hose your MB, Revision 8E was a memory upgrade release which is no longer available as a standalone upgrade and will have been integrated into F9.

The second thing that I noticed is that the memory controller voltage is marginally low at 1.488V when it should be stable at 1.5V.

Motherboard
Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model: 990FXA-UD3 (CPU 1)
Version: To be filled by O.E.M.
Chipset Vendor: AMD
Chipset Model: RD9x0
Chipset Revision: 02
Southbridge Vendor: AMD
Southbridge Model: SB910/950
Southbridge Revision: 40
System Temperature: 25 °C
BIOS
Brand: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: F2
Date: 15/07/2013
Voltage
CPU CORE: 1.236 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER: 1.488 V

Versions of BIOS here

A thread here for you to read, note the initial reply of sharkbyte5150

Also apologies for saying things were up to date when they weren't. I don't remember what I did/what instructions I followed to check but at the time I was sure that it was telling me it was up to date =P. 

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

I've looked up the manual for Rewan's BIOS so I'm gonna talk him through raising the DRAM voltage. It only needs to be raised by 0.12V so there's no danger. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

I agree that upgrading the BIOS is not worth the risk, I never advise it and will only ever provide the relevant details and advise of the risk involved.

Increasing the voltage to the Ram slots is also what I would suggest :thumbsup:  

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

I agree that upgrading the BIOS is not worth the risk, I never advise it and will only ever provide the relevant details and advise of the risk involved.

Increasing the voltage to the Ram slots is also what I would suggest :thumbsup:  

We've looked at the voltage and it was set to 1.500V in the BIOS, we tried bumping it up by 0.010V to see if that reflected in the Speccy readout (1.498) and it didn't, it just stayed at 1.488V. I'd also like to note that my Speccy also shows 1.488V and I've had no RAM issues so I don't think that's a factor, was worth a try though. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Its looking like 4 X 4GB sticks then.

Advertisements

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Its looking like 4 X 4GB sticks then.

I reckon so. I'm going to wait until the refund has cleared before ordering though, don't really want to have £350 sunk into RAM at the same time...

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Re. Phillpower2's Reply #48. 

From Speccy, your MB rev, is 1.1, that's going by the BIOS rev. shown, F2, and as noted Rev. 8E enhanced the memory controller, This could be the problem, not the actual RAM.

Can you find out your Brother's MB and BIOS versions as he seems not to have RAM issues.  

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Gday.

Re. Phillpower2's Reply #48. 

From Speccy, your MB rev, is 1.1, that's going by the BIOS rev. shown, F2, and as noted Rev. 8E enhanced the memory controller, This could be the problem, not the actual RAM.

Can you find out your Brother's MB and BIOS versions as he seems not to have RAM issues.  

I can do as soon as he is home. But I also had no RAM issues with his 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Red. I had 0 freezes in 48 hours whereas the other 2 kits i've tried gave me at least 3/4 freezes a day

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Any news rewan101

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

We're just waiting for the refund for the AMD RAM, we're shopping for kits that are on the QVL. 

At the moment it looks like we'll be going with CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9.

Edited by averysadman, 18 May 2014 - 10:46 AM.