Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC locking up and freezing.

locking up freezing crashing

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thanks for the update averysadman  :thumbsup:

Advertisements

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Any news rewan101

Hey, sorry i'm away at the moment visiting my girlfriend at uni! Yeah at the moment I'm just waiting for the money to come through for the AMD ram, then as avery says I think i'm gona go with 4x4 modules of Corsair vengeance 1600mhz. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No worries rewan101 and thanks for taking time out to get back to us :thumbsup:  

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

No worries rewan101 and thanks for taking time out to get back to us :thumbsup:  

Hi, back home now. I just ordered 4x4GB modules of corsair vengeance. http://www.amazon.co...Z16GX3M4A1600C9

On my QVL so if this doesn't work I don't know what will!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Fingers crossed for you  :thumbsup:

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Fingers crossed for you  :thumbsup:

New RAM is in. I'll give it 24/48 hours and HOPEFULLY it wont freeze.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:thumbsup:

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Already had my first freeze. At this point i'm out of ideas. =[

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

The only thing I can think of now is flashing the BIOS. The new version has a memory controller update (i'm pretty sure we found that out when we checked what version I was running), so I think that's probably the best bet to fix it at the moment. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

The MB is new and covered by warranty and so it should be returned as faulty, you have done everything possible memory wise (all at your own expense may I add) so Ram is ruled out, the MB functions with 2X4GB sticks inserted so the CPU would seem to be ok as well, this leaves the MB as the cause.

You may recall from my reply #2

I would not be at all surprised if it was a bad MB as I have seen so many bad reports about their reliability and being DOA, the Newegg reviews are proof if it were needed, seehere

Check the amount of one egg reviews given to the MB in the past 6 months alone (reviews > click on one egg)

BTW, if you flash the BIOS and it does not resolve the issue you cannot return the MB under warranty, this because Gigabyte will have no way of knowing if the flash damaged the board.

Advertisements

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

The MB is new and covered by warranty and so it should be returned as faulty, you have done everything possible memory wise (all at your own expense may I add) so Ram is ruled out, the MB functions with 2X4GB sticks inserted so the CPU would seem to be ok as well, this leaves the MB as the cause.

You may recall from my reply #2

I would not be at all surprised if it was a bad MB as I have seen so many bad reports about their reliability and being DOA, the Newegg reviews are proof if it were needed, seehere

Check the amount of one egg reviews given to the MB in the past 6 months alone (reviews > click on one egg)

BTW, if you flash the BIOS and it does not resolve the issue you cannot return the MB under warranty, this because Gigabyte will have no way of knowing if the flash damaged the board.

ok. Thanks. Well i've sent Gigabyte a support ticket asking if flashing is covered by their warranty (thought it might be as they offer flashing software on their site) and also asking what they think I should do. I guess though I'll have to try and get it returned and replaced for another one. Not looking forward to disassembling the Pc and reassembling it several weeks later but hey ho I guess it's all practice. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

A pain in the proverbial for you rewan101  :(

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

A pain in the proverbial for you rewan101  :(

Ok, so that's a no go then. Perhaps it's time for a stern email to Gigabyte about their defective motherboard. I'll wait and see what their reply is to my email first. Thanks for all the help. What a (not so) merry chase it has been. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

I can only wish you better luck with any replacement board, you should be taking this up with the place that you got the board from as your warranty is with them.

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

I can only wish you better luck with any replacement board, you should be taking this up with the place that you got the board from as your warranty is with them.

kk. thanks. to amazon then!