Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I move items from my SSD to HDD?

• Please log in to reply

JustinJK

JustinJK

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I've not had SSD drives on any previous computers. This is my first system to come with it. From my understanding it makes programs boot/load faster. However, on my new laptop, which as 240GB of free SSD space, the SSD is used as the defualt drive. It's also almost full, and won't be able to hold many more programs, especially larger sized video games. My HDD (1TB) has all of my backed up files on it.

ssd2hdd.png

Like I'm about to install ESO, Crysis, etc, but I'm not even sure they'll fit. How could I move things like the Users sub-folder over to my D: drive. Most of the space taken up is in my Users (pictures, music, videos, documents, etc). I'm sure I could just move these all over to my D drive from the C drive, but is it possible to have my Users, and subfolders, default over on the HDD? Sorry , I'm just a filthy casual noob :P.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   JustinJK

You can selectively copy data such as pictures and music etc across but programs would need to be reinstalled, you have ended up in a rather awkward position with the SSD becoming so full because unless it is partitioned there is a chance that Windows files will be overwritten and render the computer unbootable.

Have you made a system restore/back up disk or do you have your own OS installation disk.

Is there enough free space on the 1TB HDD to clone the SSD to, I would do this only after getting rid of any unwanted data that there may be on the SSD such as games that you no longer play.

I personally would start afresh with the SSD and split it into two 120GB partitions, one for the OS and one for your most important programs - favourite games.

JustinJK

JustinJK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

:welcome:   JustinJK

You can selectively copy data such as pictures and music etc across but programs would need to be reinstalled, you have ended up in a rather awkward position with the SSD becoming so full because unless it is partitioned there is a chance that Windows files will be overwritten and render the computer unbootable.

Have you made a system restore/back up disk or do you have your own OS installation disk.

Is there enough free space on the 1TB HDD to clone the SSD to, I would do this only after getting rid of any unwanted data that there may be on the SSD such as games that you no longer play.

I personally would start afresh with the SSD and split it into two 120GB partitions, one for the OS and one for your most important programs - favourite games.

I've only have the laptop a few days. I've barely done anything except for install a couple games and switched all of my files over from my old laptop. I'm not sure how or why the SSD became the default. If I reinstall the operation system (they have a built reinstallation boot/backup), can I change this? The HDD has a lot of space left open, haha.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Apologies JustinJK for some reason I never received notification of your reply #3

Is the follow this topic check box ticked in your list of content.

Not sure what brand your SSD is but here is a good guide for you to take a look at, courtesy of Crucial.

I would partition the SSD as I suggested with the primary partition that has the OS on it allocated the drive letter C: and the second partition F: for favourites or G: for games, this unless you have already allocated the said drive letters to other devices, when done it is important that when you wish to save something you remember to save it to the correct drive letter.