Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some opinions on a couple of systems I'm looking at

• Please log in to reply

bonkee3000

bonkee3000

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi,

I have been recently shopping around for a new PC.  I would like some opinions on a few systems that I've gotten quotes for.  I'm looking for a decent system that’ll last me at least a few years – I’ll probably game on it a moderate amount, but the system doesn't have to be very powerful – just so I can play Starcraft 2 and WoW, and the occasional new game at average settings.

I priced out this system at Tiger Direct:

i5-4670k Processor

Asus 287-k Motherboard

8Gb Ram

650W PSU

GTX 760 Video Card

Blu-Ray Combo

1TB HDD

120GB SSD

Case

Win7 Pro

Office 2013

Wifi Card n600

Plus Labor…

for about $1700 Cdn (that’s about $1560 USD)

I was also recommended to a small family-owned computer shop that offered me a slightly modified HP system – the model number is e2b07ut#aba – here are the general specs:

Intel Xeon e3-1245v3 Processor

8 Gb Ram

1TB HDD

DVD-RW

Windows 7 Pro

400W PSU

3-year on-site HP warranty

And they've also added in a Blu-Ray combo and a Sapphire Radeon R7240.  The price for this unit is $1000 Cdn – around $920 USD.  I know that this system is missing a few things from the above build, but I could get them to change a few things (Power supply and video card particularly) if I wanted to upgrade the HP system.

What are your opinions of these systems?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   bonkee3000

Sorry but no to either of the builds and for the following reasons;

Build #1 has a great CPU and MB but the brand names of the other hardware items are unknown and so therefore are their quality, performance and warranty periods.

Build #2 there is not enough information about most of the hardware and so the details are as unreliable as to those mentioned above, there is also mention of a 3 year HP warranty which suggests that it is an OEM build, HP do not use the highest of quality components + they do not give away 3 year warranties free of charge, it will be factored in somewhere.

Below is a list of parts that you can get for your budget, I have gone over and above the specs of both specs in your OP and still come in under $1700 Canadian, build this yourself with the guidance of us here at GTG or make a couple of minor changes to reduce the costs to free up around $100 to pay a local tech to do the build for you.

bonkee3000 list of parts please note that the MB has integrated Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and that is why I have not included a Wi-Fi adapter as in your first list of parts.