Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet card vs. wireless PCI adapter card--conflict?

• Please log in to reply

JohnGo

JohnGo

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

I have a Dell Dimension 8250 pc running WinXP pro that is setup at a location where there is no internet service.  It has an ethernet card with a cable running to a Belkin N router.  This connects wirelessly to an hp office jet 6700 printer in another room.  The computer and printer communicate fine.

I need to find out if it will work to install a wireless pci adapter card (with drivers) in another slot on the motherboard so I can connect to the internet with a hotspot from my iphone.  If this is possible I want to make sure it won't conflict with my already existing wireless connection to my printer.

Thank you for your advice,

JohnGo 

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

It should work, make sure you use two different networks on the Belkin and on the hotspot (192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0, 192.168.2.x/255.255.255.0 for example)

Windows can get confused by the two connections about where to send the outgoing traffic to avoid that change the TCP/IP configuration on the ethernet card to a fixed IP address and without gateway and DNS, it's not needed for your internal network.

Make sure the desktop is set to use the printer IP and not by name if applicable.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Thanks Sleepy Dude.  I am glad to hear that it is possible to do this.  Fooling around with wireless settings is not one of my better qualities.. I will try and get someone to help using your instructions.  I really appreciate your help here.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

I'm not familiar with using iphone as hotspot but I suppose you don't need to change settings besides installing the wireless adapter with the corresponding drivers, connect to the wireless network and type the password.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
That sounds like something I can do. My main concern here is to not foul up my wireless printer connection. That's by far the most important of the two.

Thanks for the follow up.