Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbie Building a PC!

• Please log in to reply

Rhys Thomas

Rhys Thomas

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hey guys,

I've recently got a new job and want to start building a decent PC. I have briefly made a wish list on Amazon based around my Budget and performance needs. I was thinking of getting a SSD for the OS and a 1TB Disk. Any advice on this being a Good/Bad idea would be awesome

Any suggestions or recommendations are open and appreciated! Also  haven't done thorough research on the compatibility for all these parts, if anyone points out that something won't work please post it :D

Thanks in Advanced!

- Rhys

http://www.amazon.co...=cm_wl_huc_view

Edit - I bought the case in the Wishlist around a year ago, I would prefer building my PC around that Case (Zalman Z11)

Edited by Rhys Thomas, 10 May 2014 - 05:50 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   Rhys Thomas

You have some good quality spec parts, some items are missing such as a PSU, OS such as 64-bit Windows and an optical drive, you also have a third party cooler which will cause you warranty issues, see my canned text below;

Your aftermarket cooler, a very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty both AMD and Intel are clear on this, see below;

AMD;
This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

Intel;
damage to the Product due to external causes, including  accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions,  misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper  testing;

Full Intel article available @ http://www.intel.com...b/cs-009862.htm

If you tell us what the main use of the computer will be and your maximum budget we can suggest you a more balanced list built around the i5 4670k which is a great CPU.

Rhys Thomas

Rhys Thomas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello there,

Current PSU - http://aq.be/21af84

I would like to get Windows 7 64Bit

I have an Optical Drive - Opticarc DVD RW AD-5260S ATA Device

If any of these need upgrading i am happy to do so within a £1000 Bugdet

Any advice on the cooling unit would be great.

Edit - Main use of the PC will be purely gaming!

Edited by Rhys Thomas, 10 May 2014 - 06:32 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

That is a good budget considering you already have a good PSU, case and DVD drive, this does not mean you should spend more than you need to if you will get no improvement for it, I suggest you upgrade the GTX 760 to the GTX 770, swap the OS to Windows 8 and then use the free online upgrade to 8.1 direct from Microsoft, if you go for Windows 7 now you will have to pay circa £100 in the future to upgrade from Windows 7 when support ends for it.

Forget about using a third party cooler for the CPU, the one that is supplied with the processor is tested over and above the safe thermal footprint of the chip + as I pointed out earlier you will void your 3 year Intel warranty if you don`t use the stock Intel cooler.

A list of parts here that we can tweak if need be, check the specs of each item and you will see the benefits of them over other parts that I could have suggested, the MB for example has built in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth etc.

Rhys Thomas

Rhys Thomas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Fantastic, That is a great list.

Regarding the OS 8.1, I've heard of some compatibility problems with current games and that OS, Is that going to be a repetitive issue with some games?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Glad you like the list  :)

Sorry but I have not heard of any Windows 8 and games compatibility issues so cannot comment, do you happen to have links to any forums etc so that I can take a look at which games and solutions etc.

The one gripe that people did have about Windows 8 when it was initially released was the lack of a Start orb, that has been resolved now, Windows 8/8.1 is faster than Windows 7 as well btw.

Rhys Thomas

Rhys Thomas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I've been doing some digging and found that most of the compatibility issues were in 8.0 and seemed to be ironed out in 8.1

I am convinced to go with your list which is far better Performance per £ than any other list I've come across.

Revisiting the topic on the Cooling unit, I was looking into over-clocking the CPU but still need to do more research into this

is it worth over-clocking an i5? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Intel release the k version of their CPUs so that they can be overclocked and the stock cooler that is supplied with the CPU has been tested and proven to be able to cope, only extreme overclockers need the likes of liquid cooling etc and the last thing that they are concerned with is voiding their CPU warranty, if the system pops they simply start again, also keep in mind that you would need to overclock your other hardware such as the Ram and GPU and this will generate more heat which doesn`t do any hardware any good, just so that you are aware Intel started offering a warranty specific to O/Cers, you can read about it here

Something else for you to take a look at here

Rhys Thomas

Rhys Thomas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Okay that is Awesome! I'll stick with the Stock one

I would like to Thank you myself and on behalf of these forums!

You do a great job giving advice and responding very quickly. Keep up the excellent work

Thank you very much phillpower2!

Over and out!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thank you for your kind words  :blush:

Please continue to enjoy the forums, keep us informed on your progress and any questions please ask  :thumbsup:

Do you need a build tutorial or are you comfortable without one.

Rhys Thomas

Rhys Thomas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I would like to think that I can but I don't want to mess up a £1000 Rig!

Any building and installation guides would be much appreciated :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Build tutorial provided courtesy of Troy and Artellos respectively here

One tip that I would suggest, once you have placed the order for your new parts and confirmed they are available download any manuals that you can for the likes of the MB, GPU etc and familiarise yourself with them, this will make the build go more smoothly, ask here if you are unsure on anything.

Installing Windows 8 to an SSD guide here