Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel core 2 quad q6700

• Please log in to reply

Gravanti

Gravanti

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My computer is running with only one core. I went through the task manager but the only option that it gives me is one core, instead of 1,2,3,4. I also tweaked it with regedit. Setting all to zero.
I even changed the CPU but same problem. It must be o problem with windows 7 settings.
Any suggestion please. Thanks.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Can you post a screen shot of Task Manager, Performance tab?

I have a Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz and mine looks like this:

W7Performance.jpg

Did you install Windows 7 or did it come with the computer?

What does Piriform Speccy show for CPU?

Mine is:

Piriform Speccy CPU.jpg

Gravanti

Gravanti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My task manager shows only one core (one rectangle). Piriform Speccy gives all valid readings of the Cpu but reports only one core.
When I go to Windows device manager, though, it reports all four cores with updated drivers. I just don't understand it. I can't give you a screen shot of my task manager because I am out of town and am using my IPad. On top of everything my Cpu runs constantly at 100% and of course is very slow. Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Could you give us more infor about your computer please.

If a Dell or HP type, the brand and model number, if a custom build, the MB, RAM, GPU and brand/model of the PSU.

Have you used any software to overclock the CPU?

Gravanti

Gravanti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The computer is HP Pavillon Media Center m8120n. Is not custom build, but I recently installed a new MSI R7770 graphic card.
The motherboard is a Asustek, Basswood 3 G (socket 775), vendor is Intel, Southbridge model is 82801HH (1chbdh)'
Bios brand is Phoenix Technologies, version 5.09. The PSU I just install is an ANTEC VP450 - 450 watt (ATX 12v v2.3.
I have 6GB RAM (2x1 gb and 2x2 gb). I did not use any software to overclock the CPU.

The problem had started before I installed the graphic card and PSU.

Thanks for your time and interest on this.

Gravanti

Gravanti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oops.
I forgot to tell you that when the problem started I was using a Core Duo quad q6600. I thought the CPU was bad and replaced it with a q6700, but that did not fix the problem.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Have you installed the Chipset driver for the new CPU?

Gravanti

Gravanti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No, I did not. How or where can I get it? (Or I can put back the old CPU q6600).
I checked on device manager and it shows the right CPU (q6700) with 4 cores working. I tried to update the driver and it tells me that I have the latest driver installed.

Gravanti

Gravanti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I runned the Intel Processor identification utility and it recognized the right cpu with four cores running at 2.66 ghz each and
1066 MHz each. Cache memory 8 MB.

I start thinking on installing windows 7 64 bit on a brand new hard drive and start from the beginning, but hopefully you will have an answer for me. Tks

Gravanti

Gravanti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
You are not going to believe this
I had some conflicts with my printer (HP d110). I uninstalled the software that came with it and like magic now I have the four cores working as they are supposed to. Go figure......
I thank you very much for your interest
Refards

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

That is just plain weird! Glad your set though.