Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connecting multiple brands of routers wirelessly

• Please log in to reply

arwier

arwier

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

this is going to seem a bit strange but anyway here goes I have a netgear dgn1000 modem/router as well as three belkin f5d7230 wireless routers and a netgear wgr614v10 wireless router and also lynksys wrt54gs ver6; wrt54gs v7; befw11s4 ver4; wap11 ver2.6. I have no problem bridging the belkin routers and making them communicate with each other wirelessly but I don't seem to be able to make them comunicate with any of the others wirelessly nor any of the others communicate with each other. I have multiple computers in multiple rooms and most do not have wireless cards in them so I use the routers to efectively couple multiple network segments together can anyone help my delema or atleast tell me if there is any combo that is possible lol

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi,
I'm sure one of our members will come along shortly with some information on using multiple Wireless Access Points (the WAPs attached to your router/modem/switches, and with details of which unit is capable of communicating on the lines you suggest with its fellows...how to configure the compatible units, disable DHCP (as required) and implement bridging etc...

In the meantime it might be worth using a simple home networking device often called "Homeplug network adapters", these are inexpensive, provide a good strong Internet connection via the house electrical wiring accessed through any electrical outlet in the house (connected to the same electric meter)

I set up a home network for a customer this morning, took less than 5 minutes and cost ( for the equipment.. (GBP) £15... which is around (USD) $20 or so... maybe less as things electronic are often considerably cheaper in USA compared with UK...

Hope this helps

Regards

paws