Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does anyone know the size of the Internet?

Internet Moonsearch

• Please log in to reply

Lemurian

Lemurian

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

The guys at moonsearch state that we know nothing about the size of Internet. Like there's 1 billion sites around, but nobody knows for sure how much. Can that be true?

Another great example of the problem is an age-old question: how many sites are there in the internet?
In 1996 we could answer more or less precisely counting the IP addresses. Today’s picture is different.
Lets analyse Google’s first SERP on the question. Different sources give different results: the total number of sites is either 346 million, or 759 million, or 1.19 billion according to resources that rank highest in Google’s results.
Authoritative Netcraft (which isn’t in the Google Top-10 Search Results) gives the number 958,919,789; another “authoritative” blog citing Netcraft says the company sees “1-2 billions” pages.
There are lots of other sources giving different numbers for this one, simple question.

It seems like the actual number of sites is impossible to get

They tell, that in spite we are all that digital and mathematical, we, humans, don't even know the size of the Internet we have created. 

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Lemurian,

Right now, pretty big… but apparently nowhere near as big as it’s going to get within the next few years, or thereafter.

There's a good read found here concerning the size of the internet.

Lemurian

Lemurian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Thanks for material, DonnaB, looks like we've got to the point, where neither a single human brain, nor even a small institution are able to comprehend the size of Internet. In some years it'll get even worse, since everything goes digital, and those cool new implants like google glasses become available.

I'm sure that when they finally make brain implants to have "google glasses" and Internet directly in our nervous system, that'll change us all. And I'm not sure, that such a change becomes beneficial for our evolution. We might find our nervous systems unable to cope with so huge data quantities.

But that's still science fiction. How do yo think, what size the Web's gonna be in 2015? In 2017? Two billion sites? 5 billion? considering the exponential growth? Will it stop or at least slow down when we'll get to one web-site for every human being? Two web-sites for every person living on the planet? 

Captain Lasky

Captain Lasky

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Well for my own thinking  :prop:

Internet is more likely big as the universe

for a 1 billion sites well that is one big population like us Humans except we are 6.9 billion 

Does anyone know if the INTERNET have a System Core?  :yes:

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
We are fast approaching 1 billion websites (watch the total increase), a milestone which at this rate will be reached by the end of June 2014. From 1 website in 1991 to over 700 million in 2013, the chart and table below show the total number of websites by year throughout history:

http://www.internetl...er-of-websites/

Lemurian

Lemurian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Well for my own thinking  :prop:

Internet is more likely big as the universe

for a 1 billion sites well that is one big population like us Humans except we are 6.9 billion 

Does anyone know if the INTERNET have a System Core?  :yes:

I bet it does, just there's nobody around to tell us about it:)

We are fast approaching 1 billion websites (watch the total increase), a milestone which at this rate will be reached by the end of June 2014. From 1 website in 1991 to over 700 million in 2013, the chart and table below show the total number of websites by year throughout history:

http://www.internetl...er-of-websites/

Moonsearch blogger suggests that there might possible be more than 2 billion or even more websites out there and nobody might even know that. 

Next step; the arise of Skynet and Matrix world... Or is it already here? :)

Captain Lasky

Captain Lasky

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Moonsearch blogger suggests that there might possible be more than 2 billion or even more websites out there and nobody might even know that. 

Next step; the arise of Skynet and Matrix world... Or is it already here? :)

Actually in Facebook, Skynet is rumored to be Google because it's taking everything  :D

is it possible that machines are taking over i mean internet bots are everywhere at the internet

Microsoft Security says that almost 50% of internet activities are "NOT HUMAN".

Skynet = Google  :laughing:

Lemurian

Lemurian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Microsoft Security says that almost 50% of internet activities are "NOT HUMAN". -- What a surprise!

Skynet = Google  :laughing:  -- oh, yeah, and it's getting worse every ear. Google is so comfortable and looks so goody-goody fighting blackhat SEO, that everyone is like forgiving them becoming the Web's major Evil Spider. 

Non-USA governments don't know what to do with Google either -- the giant's always several steps ahead of them. considering Google's alleged (wikileaks) collaboration with FBI we can start being paranoid. 

Gosh! We are getting into conspiracy theories here :)))

Captain Lasky

Captain Lasky

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Microsoft Security says that almost 50% of internet activities are "NOT HUMAN". -- What a surprise!

Skynet = Google  :laughing:  -- oh, yeah, and it's getting worse every ear. Google is so comfortable and looks so goody-goody fighting blackhat SEO, that everyone is like forgiving them becoming the Web's major Evil Spider. 

Non-USA governments don't know what to do with Google either -- the giant's always several steps ahead of them. considering Google's alleged (wikileaks) collaboration with FBI we can start being paranoid. 

Gosh! We are getting into conspiracy theories here :)))

I'm going to start digging now so that i can bulid my own bunker

and waiting until the day Skynet ( Google ) launched, striking every country

with nukes taking everyone out.   :prop:

But still hoping that Skynet is not real for the sake of my future son or daughter and

my future grandson/daughter :)

Edited by Captain Lasky, 13 May 2014 - 11:36 AM.

Lemurian

Lemurian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Why thinking in XXth century terms? -- nukes, battle-robots, bunkers, etc. -- imagining neuroimplants transmitting ads directly into our brains and subconscious is more timely.

Or Google's (and other big corps') marketing departments perverting our reality into their way to manipulate our poitical and buying desires. Isn't that kind of today's Matrix?

Instead of bunkers we are gonna use media ascetism, vipassana, deliberate month's-without-BrainNet-and-smartphone retreats:) 

Captain Lasky

Captain Lasky

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Or Google's (and other big corps') marketing departments perverting our reality into their way to manipulate our poitical and buying desires. Isn't that kind of today's Matrix?

Yeah that's actually true just like "The Sims" a virtual life like reality game that manipulates the way of human life

also a hit for the "Sony Morpheus" entering our brain for virtual reality

Yep this is the modern world Matrix :)

Lemurian

Lemurian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

From some point it's just the way it is now, if someone does or says something against this he's viewed either as a freak or as crazy. At least in Western world.

I wonder sometimes, what percent of our desires are really "our" not advertising, PR, and marketing depts'? :)

And is there a Red Pill except of becoming a saddhu in India or a solitary as the guy in "Into the Wild" movie? 

Lemurian

Lemurian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

back to the topic -- including darknet there might be even as much as two billion sites out there we are not aware of