Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Choosing a new desktop?

• Please log in to reply

Burning Dm

Burning Dm

• Pip
  • 1 posts

So I'm looking to upgrade my current desktop to one of these two systems.

Windows 7 HP Compaq 6005 Pro AMD Dual Core 2.7 GHZ 6GB ram 160GB PC

or

Dell OptiPlex 760 Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU 3 GHz 6GB ram 1tb hd Windows 7

I need a system that can handle running demanding programs. My current system is an Hp windows 7 3 gb ram Amd Athlon™ II X2 250 3.00 GHz 64 bit. I love this system but it's when I need it to run certain programs it's all i can have running. I would like to know if  either one of these would be a decent step up from my current system and if so which one is better. 

P.S. I don't care about the difference in memory (1 tb / 160 gb) unless it effects the systems performance. 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,035 posts

:welcome:    Burning Dm

Can you tell us what programs it is that you wish to run, neither computer may be appropriate.

The Dell depending on which particular version of the Optiplex 760 may be the better choice of the two as it has a faster processor + the 1TB of storage space on the HDD ( please note that it is called storage space and not memory, 6GB of Ram is the amount of memory  ;) ) which one of the four here is the Optiplex 760 you are considering.

Keep in mind that the cost and upgrade potential of both computers is a major factor,  Dell 760 detailed specs and HP Compaq 6005 detailed specs.