Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re-install of Office 2003 for Windows XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

I have just finished doing a "Repair Install"  for my Windows XP with satisfactory results, with no need to do a complete clean install.  However I have to do some corrective surgery on my Office 2003.  During the "Windows Repair Install" I was required to boot from the system CD which of course required that OS CD was in the CD drive.  Now would this be the same to  re-install Office 2003?  In other words should the system be booted from the CD as opposed to the Hard Drive.

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

You will want to boot into XP and then insert the Office 2003 CD. The installation should start up automatically. If not, you may need to navigate to your CD drive and run the installer.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Will the previous Office program have to be uninstalled first?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

No, install over it. Shouldn't be any problem.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

thanks

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Probem with re-install of Office 2003 over top of same.  Just noticed that some of my documents on Word are in shadow on list under My Documents.  When I try to open one or more of these documents, the file is in computer language.  I see that there are choices on dropdown list that can be selected in order to make the document readable.  Seeing as i live in North America which one should i use and what may have caused the problem?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Do you mean files with a .doc filetype? If so, right click on one and select Open with then click on Choose default program. Pick Microsoft Office Word (or similar). See if that fixes it.

If all else fails, uninstall and reinstall office. Won't affect the data and only takes a few minutes.