Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange tick on startup help please

Motherboard system ram components buzz corsair asus

• Please log in to reply

ricster-a

ricster-a

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

I have a Asus 1156 P7P55d LE motherboard and i just went to swap the old samsung 2gb ram for 2x4gb of corsair vengeance pro ram, i installed it but then there was a ticking that almost sounded like a wire hitting a fan but there wasn't. The computer booted but only to the Asus logo screen no further and on the 2nd time trying to boot it cut all power. I reseated the old samsung 2gb stick and it has gone away again? and now it boots fine. I'm a little uneasy to keep trying because this happened to me before and it shorted my memory and motherboard does anyone know what is wrong?

My system:

Corsair CX 430w PSU
P7P55D LE motherboard
i5 650
WD caviar Green
Asus GT640 GPU
T-link wireless card
CM 212 evo cooler

this motherboard was bought 2nd hand so i have no manual but i checked online and it says the 2 sticks of ram should be seated in A1 & B1 which i did the current 2gb samsung stick is seated in A1

Advertisements

ricster-a

ricster-a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I think i have just found the answer the i5 650 can't handle 1600? Can anyone direct me to a decent 1333?  an do you think this will be my issue?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   ricster-a

Please bear with me while I do some research on your hardware, can you meanwhile check the link here and confirm if I have the correct MB and check out the failing WD HDD sounds here to see if the any noises are similar to what you hear. 

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)   :thumbsup: 

ricster-a

ricster-a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Yes that's my MB, but i don't think it is the HD because once i swapped out the 2x4gb corsair for the 1x2gb samsung the noise went away and the computer boots up fine, im on it right now after changing it back this is how im able to talk to you right now and i have no noises what so ever once i take out the corsair sticks. I had this same problem before and it created a spark in B2 and ruined my ram and motherboard that was a few days ago.

Edited by ricster-a, 14 May 2014 - 11:13 AM.

ricster-a

ricster-a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

ok Phil, i just reseated 1 dimm of 4gb corsair into A1 and it ran fine so i proceeded and added the second into B1 but this time there was no noise but it wont go any further than the asus logo?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The ticking noise may have been from one of the cooling fans and can happen from time to time.

You suspect that the Ram may be too fast for the CPU but I am not 100% certain, the Ram will only function as fast as the CPU memory controller will allow it, this is sometimes called throttling back, your MB will accept 4GB Ram modules as I have just checked at the MBs QVL;

KINGSTON KHX12800D3K3/12GX(XMP) DDR3 1600 12288MB(Kit of 3) DS N/A Heat-Sink Package 9(1066-9-9-9-24) N/A ●●●  and you are correct that the 4GB modules should be in slots A1 and B1.

The MB is a used item, how reliable is the person or place from where it was purchased.

You have not provided any details about your add on video card, can you please do so in your next update.

ricster-a

ricster-a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

add on video card? i can put 1 stick in A1 or B1 and it will boot and if i put in either ram stick it will also boot just not together.

ricster-a

ricster-a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I dont have the manual but i searched online and found the manual and it say to put them in dimm A1 and B1 i dont really like fiddling just recently because my last MB was having slightly milder symptoms like this and it fried the ram and the motherboard was also damaged. I just saw the B1 dimm of ram spark and it died. So im hoping it wont happen to this one.

Edited by ricster-a, 14 May 2014 - 12:45 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The MB is a used item, how reliable is the person or place from where it was purchased.

You have not provided any details about your add on video card, can you please do so in your next update.

Your MB does not have an integrated video chip so you must have an add on video card, we need to know the details of it so that we can check it`s power requirements to see if it is at all possible that it is affecting the memory slots.

ricster-a

ricster-a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I have a GT 640 http://www.amazon.co...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MB was bought from a seller on Ebay he had high feedback marks and 100%

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Power should not be a problem so lets see if we can get the memory slot voltages;

Download Speedfan and install it.  
Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would. 

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

ricster-a

ricster-a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

SpeedFan Results:

w8uicg.jpg

CPUID Results:

zjfrcy.jpg

345ft3k.jpg

ricster-a

ricster-a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Found this thread: http://www.tomshardw...38862/p7p55d...

This part in particular: 

"Asus reply me, they said : 

- My processor CAN handle 16Go of RAM but only at 1333Mhz and NOT at 1600Mhz. This is the reason why the motherboard can't POST.

- However I ask why I cannot force the memory to be use at 1333Mhz and they respond : "Unfortunately I am afraid to say that it couldn't be said that, as if the cpu couldn't support that, the computer may meet many unstable issues like Bluescreen or freezing even if you let the memory run at 1333 MHZ"

What a nightmare !"

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

HWMonitor is showing that the voltage to VIN1 is 1.728V when it should be a maximum of 1.5V or it will damage the CPU, has the system ever been overclocked.

Dimm slots will not spark unless 1: The Ram is inserted while the system is live, 2: The Ram is incorrectly inserted. 3: The MB is damaged, this may include the memory slot being damaged by having Ram inserted correctly resulting in a short circuit being created. 4: The MB is incorrectly mounted. 5: The MB has been connected to the system switches/connections incorrectly, if none of these apply to either the present Ram or MB then you should not get any sparks. 

Please download and read your manual which can be obtained from here go to pages 20, 21 where you will find the information below and page 30 which details how to use the Mem OK button on the MB.

According to Intel CPU spec, CPUs with a core frequency of 2.66G support the maximum DIMM frequency of up to DDR3-1333. To use DIMMs of a higher frequency with a 2.66G CPU, enable the DRAM O.C. Profile feature in BIOS. Refer to section 2.4 Ai Overclock Tuner for details.

Your CPU is 3.2MHz and on the MBs QVL so the same should also apply.

May I also remind you that I asked;

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)    :thumbsup: 

ricster-a

ricster-a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

HWMonitor is showing that the voltage to VIN1 is 1.728V when it should be a maximum of 1.5V or it will damage the CPU, has the system ever been overclocked.

Everything in my build was from my old computer except MB i never overclocked my components and i set the MB to default load in bios. Bit worried about what your saying about voltage what should i be changing then?