Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Drive Issues

• Please log in to reply

dolface755

dolface755

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Ok, I'm hoping someone can help me. I haven't encountered this type of problem before so this is a new one for me.

I was given a Dell Inspiron 6400, by my sister to use until I can pay off the new laptop I'm having built.

Anyways, my problem is that it's an older model, one that she got from Staples who does all the uploading of Windows and drivers and just portions the disk drive instead of giving out an operating DVD with the system. I am trying to delete the unnessential programs and try to get the machine to work so I have at least something to use for the time being. But the drive that's been partitioned constantly says it's inaccessible. And when I go to delete or uninstall some of the other programs I keep getting an error saying "E drive not found", Now as I said I"m not familiar with this problem as I have always built my own systems and had original DVD's for the operating system.

Right now I'm just trying to repair the Windows XP and upload SP3 onto the machine but it won't even allow me to do that.

If anyone could help me that would be much greatly appreciated. If there's any information that I have left out please let me know and I will send what is needed to get this machine somewhat useable. Right now I can open the internet but if I go from my home page to another page I have to unplug my net, reboot machine and start from scratch which is getting rather tedious and frustrating.

Thank you in advance

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Some laptops come without the physical DVD but have an application that lets you create the recovery DVD. Have you checked to see if that exists? You could at least use it to reinstall the OS and de-select the add-ons that you don't want.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts

Gday.

If you do not want to save any Date from the machine, you can use the recovery partitions, (if installed)

Shut down the laptop and make sure you are connected to a mains power supply.

Restart the computer and as soon as you see the Dell Logo, hold down the ctri key and start rapidly pressing the F11 key.

A new screen will open, if you see, recovery my pc, or similar) > click, and follow the prompts,   Warning, this will wipe all user Data and programs that were installed (except those that Dell originally  installed)

dolface755

dolface755

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Ok I will have to try the recovery drive, but I think that's where I'm having issues. I'm not quite sure what the "Q" drive that is constantly inaccessible is, but I was thinking that was the recovery partition. I do have a DVD burner installed in this machine. I know there are many missing programs in the OS, and I have yet to find an application that will allow me to create a backup. I will have to get a jump drive and save my info and documents and such and maybe give the Ctrl F11 a try.

I don't understand how these companies get away with doing this crap. I have had nothing but problems with working on peoples computers that have the "mass" install OS and being only given a partition instead of the OS DVD/CD with there computers. I have even been accused by Microsoft repeatedly for piracy because I'm always fixing my mother's computer and she has the same installion. Microsoft emailed me a "NICE" letter saying that it was tantamount to software piracy. I guess as long as people just fork out the money for these companies to constantly fix their computers for them, or find it easier to just throw it away and buy a new one, the company makes money either way, no body complains so they just keep it up. I"ve had my tower I built in '97 running without a problem until last year when I could no longer find upgrade hardware and found out that Windows XP wasn't being upgraded or anything from Microsoft anymore.

Sorry for the rant, I don't do big "mass' companies well

Thank you for the information, and please offer any more you might think I need.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts

Some info.

User manual, > http://www.dell.com/...n-6400x/manuals

This one may contain more, >  http://usermanualwor...user manual.pdf

Service Manual, > http://search.dell.c...400 user manual

Downloads, > http://www.dell.com/.../inspiron-6400x

You could try running the online Diagnostic Tool, it may also be present as utility on the laptop, there is a F key to access at startup, you will need to find out in the manual as is different on some models.  There should also be a backup too., easiest is to use a USB stick. 

dolface755

dolface755

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

thank you for the links. I will take a look at them. I won't have a choice but to use a jump drive for backup because for some reason this stupid DVD is up and down depends on the mood of the machine

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts

Recover Data, > http://www.pcstats.c...eid=1139&page=1

Try Puppy Linux, if the HDD will mount successfully you should be able to access and back up your data to another storage device;

=================== 

***Required Hardware*** 

CD Burner (CDRW) Drive, 

Blank CD, 

Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive) 

=================== 

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:

• Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-528.iso) 

Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software 

There are instructions on how to boot from flash drive with puppy here; http://www.pendrivel...e-from-windows/ 

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer 

• Extract All files to a location you can remember 

• Double Click 1%20BurnCDCC%20Icon.PNG BurnCDCC 

• Click Browse 2%20BurnCDCC%20Browse%20Button.PNG and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded 

• Open/Double Click that file 

IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x 

• Click Start 3%20BurnCDCC%20Start%20Button.PNG 

• Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically 

• Insert a blank CD and close the tray 

• Click OK 

Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created 

2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second 

•  

• Start the computer/press the power button 

• Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup" 

(Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen) 

• Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to: 

CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd 

• Open your ROM drive and insert the disk 

• Press F10 to save and exit 

• Agree with "Y" to continue 

• Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD 

4%20BIOSBootPriorityImage.png 

3.  Recover Your Data 

• Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM).  You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer".  Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning.  Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy.  To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once.  Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to.  This is normal.  Ready?  Let's get started. 

3a. Mount Drives 

• Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. 5%20Puppy%20Linux%20Mount%20Icon.PNG 

• A Window will open.  By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted.  Click on Mount for your hard drive. 

• Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount. 

• USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted. 

• If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab.  Mount it now. 

3b. Transfer Files.

•  

• At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon. 

• Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1 

• Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1 

• If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows) 

• From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window. 

For The Novice:  The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos

Remember to only click once!  No double clicking!  Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy.  Choose COPY each time you drag and drop. 

YOU ARE DONE!!!  Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer.  Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations! 

PuppyLinux528screenshot.png 

dolface755

dolface755

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

I thought of using Puppy Linux but with the DVD drive having fits I can't burn anything properly...one day it will burn and one day it won't....I"m thinking I"ll just use the jump drive to back up my documents and other files and try doing a recoverry from the supposed "Q" drive...

I'm in the process of slowly paying off a new laptop so I"m just trying to get this one to work online and for the few office things I need to do while I"m waiting....I am not putting any money into this machine..I think my neice got taken quite badly when she bought it and I had to spend 5 days taking out all the viruses and just getting the internet to work for her.....its just a temp machine

but thank you for the option I will keep it in mind if the recovery doesn't work

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts

Yes, I understand not wanting to spend to many $$s.

This tool is another option, actually allows you to manipulate windows from outside the OS, it runs completely in RAM, you can find and save your Data back to the same USB stick.

http://forums.majorg...ad.php?t=216844

Image is the desktop you would work from, clicking My Computer gains access.

Warning.   the tool/s are very powerful, take care with what you do.

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-262948-0-87878100-1400477554_thumb.

Makaveli1046

Makaveli1046

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an easy note packard bell the system is new so i can't seem to find the dvd rw drive on my notebook and i dont know where to start please and i dont know much about computers

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts

Gday Makaveli1046

Please start your own new topic as only members who are watching this topic will see your post and diagnosing more than one problem on the same topic will cause confusion. .

Thanks for understanding.