Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 system shutting down unexpectedly - no blue screen no dump l

• Please log in to reply

Chucklebun

Chucklebun

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

I need help diagnosing this issue. I have attempted to self-diagnose the issue using whocrashed to no avail.

This computer was purchased and was used very lightly for about a year with no issues. Recently I decided it was time to actually get off my butt and switch it out to my desktop and now under more constant use it is randomly shutting down.  Aside from switching to my 27" monitor, various windows updates and some websurfing the only other thing I did was attempt to recover files from a USB drive thumbdrive which was corrupted. I experienced one of the shutdowns almost immediately after getting it set up with the 27" monitor, but then it ran quite well for a day or so until today - where it has shut down 3-4 times.

The system is an HP running Windows 7 home premium

AMD FX8150 @3.6 ghz

10 GB installed RAM

Radeon HD 7570

This is making me crazy, any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Hello Chucklebun,

Can you tell us the model name or number of the HP and the same for the PSU.

Recently I decided it was time to actually get off my butt and switch it out to my desktop 

Can I ask what you mean by switch it out to my desktop.

From what sort of corruption did the USB thumb drive suffer.

Chucklebun

Chucklebun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Good Morning. The computer is an HP Pavilion HPE model # H8-1223.

What I meant by switch it out to my desktop: I retired my old computer (a Dell) and switched to the new computer (the HP)

The USB hard thumb drive is unreadable. The new computer said it needed to be formatted when I plugged it in.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Edited by Chucklebun, 16 May 2014 - 06:15 AM.

Chucklebun

Chucklebun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

I've attached a photo of the PSU label.

20140516_080609 (800x513).jpg

Edited by Chucklebun, 16 May 2014 - 06:17 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Hello Chucklebun,

Thanks for the additional information  :thumbsup:

Thumb drive details acknowledged, I was checking the possibility of malware being transferred to your HDD from the thumb drive to see if you needed to be redirected to the malware forums, this at present does not appear to be required.

The PSU while not brilliant quality wise should be adequate for supporting your system (predominantly the HD 7570).

Are you ok with working inside the computer, this so that the Ram and video card can be removed and reseated and all internal connections checked to ensure that they are secure, a spring clean can also be done at the same time, I can provide the steps for the above should you require them.

You should also consider that the HD 7570 is an entry level card so you may not get the full benefits or stability that you want by using a 27" screen.

Chucklebun

Chucklebun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

I am comfortable working with hardware, I'll definitely reseat the RAM and Vid card first thing tomorrow. Didn't even think of that. As for the spring clean, it's worth a go, though that computer has probably only actually been up and running for no more than a 20-30 hours total since it was purchased about a year ago. Do you reccomend a special procedure?

The graphics card is definitely not cutting it for gaming performance at 1080p but I'll be using this computer for light office work, light photo editing, email and web surfing. I have several unused cards, including a GT 240  (and a GTX 680 I could drop in but then I'd have to upgrade the PSU) but for now the 7570 will probably stay unless it is causing problems.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Removing and reseating the Ram and video card will ensure that you have a good clean contact from the gold finger on each item and their corresponding slots.

My canned text for cleaning;

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan still.                                                                              

Ensure that all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the PSU details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.

Just a cautionary note - if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

Chucklebun

Chucklebun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Ok. Card & RAM reset. I have not experienced any problems since I (originally) posted.

A question: I switched the network connection from the built-in wireless to ethernet (and disabled the wireless) after I transferred all my files and put this PC on my desktop. This is the only substantial change I made other than installing office etc. Is it possible for a problem with the wireless to have been the cause of the restarts? I was transferring files (~ 24 GB of photos mostly) over the wireless from a networked Seagate Goflex storage drive.

Edited by Chucklebun, 19 May 2014 - 09:20 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

A wireless device or device driver could cause the issue yes, 

Chucklebun

Chucklebun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Thanks for the assistance. I'll post a new thread if issues recur.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

You are most welcome and good luck  :thumbsup: