Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP "error loading operating system"

• Please log in to reply

tradensave

tradensave

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
All was good yesterday and this morning after attempting a couple of things I got this error msg. I've used the recovery cd and tried to restore but it's not finding a Window XP installation. I just want to retrieve some pics and a few files before I probably have to reinstall XP and go back to factory default. Please help me find a solution. Thank you

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Hello tradensave,

If the data is still there try backing it up using Puppy Linux, details below;

=================== 

***Required Hardware*** 

CD Burner (CDRW) Drive, 

Blank CD, 

Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)  

=================== 

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:

• Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-528.iso) 

Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software 

There are instructions on how to boot from flash drive with puppy here; http://www.pendrivel...e-from-windows/ 

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer 

• Extract All files to a location you can remember 

• Double Click 1%20BurnCDCC%20Icon.PNG BurnCDCC 

• Click Browse 2%20BurnCDCC%20Browse%20Button.PNG and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded 

• Open/Double Click that file 

IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x 

• Click Start 3%20BurnCDCC%20Start%20Button.PNG 

• Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically 

• Insert a blank CD and close the tray 

• Click OK 

Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created 

2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second 

•  

• Start the computer/press the power button 

• Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup" 

(Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen) 

• Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to: 

CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd 

• Open your ROM drive and insert the disk 

• Press F10 to save and exit 

• Agree with "Y" to continue 

• Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD 

4%20BIOSBootPriorityImage.png 

3.  Recover Your Data 

• Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM).  You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer".  Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning.  Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy.  To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once.  Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to.  This is normal.  Ready?  Let's get started. 

3a. Mount Drives 

• Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. 5%20Puppy%20Linux%20Mount%20Icon.PNG 

• A Window will open.  By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted.  Click on Mount for your hard drive. 

• Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount. 

• USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted. 

• If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab.  Mount it now. 

3b. Transfer Files.

•  

• At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon. 

• Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1 

• Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1 

• If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows) 

• From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window. 

For The Novice:  The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos

Remember to only click once!  No double clicking!  Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy.  Choose COPY each time you drag and drop. 

YOU ARE DONE!!!  Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer.  Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations! 

PuppyLinux528screenshot.png 

Let us know how you get on and good luck.

tradensave

tradensave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Is it at all possible to try to "fix" the issue?? Right now I can't download anything because without the OS loading I do not have access to the internet to download.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Sorry but you said that you wanted to try and retrieve some pictures and files and that is why I provided the information that I did  :(

If the BIOS is not detecting an OS it may be explained by one of the following, 1: The present OS is corrupt. 2: The HDD has issues. 3: Both of the aforementioned, this is why trying to retrieve any important data now should be done first because the HDD may fail completely with the loss of all data on it.

The only way of trying to retrieve your data without using the internet for one thing or another is to remove the HDD and place it in another computer or by using a HDD enclosure/adapter and backing up to another computer.

tradensave

tradensave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thank you... I figured it was going to be something like that...just hope it all there. Thanks again

tradensave

tradensave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Not sure if this makes a difference but this is what I get when I tried to restore...

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Doesn't look to promising as the C: drive should be NTFS, Puppy may not be able to read it.

The two x FAT partitions, is this a brand name computer.

Going offline shortly as I have an early start + I've been here about 16hrs today, back about 7am UK time.

tradensave

tradensave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Help!! I am in the "setup" but having a hard time finding the Bios section to get to the "Advanced Bios"image.jpg

Edited by tradensave, 16 May 2014 - 08:42 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

We cannot help you effectively if you do not answer our questions  :(

From my reply #7

is this a brand name computer

Not all computers are the same and brand names often have their own specific keys for accessing the BIOS and making/saving new settings.

tradensave

tradensave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
My apologies...I didn't see the question.

It is a Dell

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Apologies for the delay, I got called away.

As the computer is a Dell you may have a Recovery Partition and system tools on the HDD, we can check this shortly.

Try the following,

Power on the system. 

When the Dell logo screen appears, press the <F2> key or press the <Fn> + <F1> keys simultaneously to enter the BIOS (System Setup). 
Press the <Down Arrow> key until Boot First Device is highlighted. 
Press the <Right Arrow> key until CD-ROM/DVD-ROM Drive is shown.

Repeat the procedure for the second boot device and make it the HDD. 
Insert the Puppy disk into the optical drive.. 

Press the <Alt> + <B> keys at the same time to Save and Reboot.

tradensave

tradensave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Again, my apologies. I am usually pretty good at this but no so much this time. When I enter system setup and go into boot drive the option you have given me to do is not there. I am uploading a few pictures: 1. The system info 2. The menu 3. The boot sequence where I am trying to make the changes you have asked. (I believe this is where I should be doing it?)

tradensave

tradensave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
image.jpg

tradensave

tradensave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
image.jpg