Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP "error loading operating system"

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Just found the following steps, as I said earlier not all BIOS is the same;

Turn on (or restart) your computer.

When F2 = Setup, F12 = Boot Menu appears in the upper-right corner of the screen, press <F12>.

If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft Windows desktop. Then shut down your computer and try again.

The Boot Device Menu appears, listing all available boot devices. Each device has a number next to it.

At the bottom of the menu, enter the number of the device that is to be used for the current boot only.

Advertisements

tradensave

tradensave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thank you for your help....I wished it worked but now my disk drive doesn't want to run so it can't read the disk. I am going to have to look at other possible options. I do appreciate your time....I just want my pictures!!! Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

So you have now changed the boot sequence.

Which disk is it - Puppy Linux - do you have another computer to try the disk on to see if it is the drive or the disk.

You are welcome btw  :thumbsup:

tradensave

tradensave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
It's the drive, just verified it on a laptop. I do believe I changed the sequence. If you reference the earlier picture I sent I went to menu and went to:
* system
*boot sequence
* then made sure USB CD-ROM drive was #1

No luck

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Is the optical drive spinning up when a disk is inserted in it - does the activity LED blink.

The HDD is shown to be #3 in your screenshot and not #2.

tradensave

tradensave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Finally able to get the drive up and loaded with your program...all is good until I get to the "move files" step and I don't see any of "my personnel" files. Does this mean everything of mine was wiped out?? I am hoping there is more to it?? The files seem to be files for the computer set. I will screen shot it and post a pic below.

tradensave

tradensave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
image.jpg

tradensave

tradensave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
image.jpg

tradensave

tradensave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
image.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Bad news I'm afraid, the C: drive/partition is shown to be empty in the screenshot in your reply #6 and now Puppy also does not detect any data on the same partition, is it possible that when you tried the restore disk that you mention in your OP that you accidently formatted the C: drive.

Can I ask what type of restore disk it was that you used and from where it was obtained, the fact that the partition type is unknown would cause a problem with both Windows and Puppy in any event but the partition being formatted makes the chances of getting any data back almost nil.

We will wait on your update to see if anything else can be suggested but being honest it doesn't look promising  :(

Advertisements

tradensave

tradensave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
The disk that was used was the original restore/reinstall disk that initially came with the computer. I am positive that I did not reformat the disk...I was very careful to make sure I didn't do that.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

The storage space on partition C: is shown to be free albeit -1%, this suggests that the drive has been formatted somehow, if any more data was available it would be shown, even if it was corrupt, one final software to try is Ddrescue, details here

One of the other partitions could be a recovery partition so it is interesting that you also have a recovery disk, this is an asides but can I ask if the disk is a genuine Dell one, it will have Dell embossed on it and may have a sticker similar to the one below;

Was the computer new when you got it.

tradensave

tradensave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Yes, the computer was new when I bought it....I purchased it directly from Dell, brand new.

I will try the new suggestion...I will be in touch later...I have other business to tend to before I can contiue with computer.

Thank you again, I will be in touch.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

:thumbsup: