Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

GTX 760 Driver issue

• Please log in to reply

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Hi,

I'll try not to rant too long about my current issue.

So, a while back (Months), my original card failed (ATI GT 620). Called Dell, they said 2 weeks to send a replacement. I told them "No" and bought a GTX 760 from a nearby store :):). It's worked excellent right up until now.

I left my computer to update the drivers for it, it BSOD'd while I was at school. Corrupted something. Now upon reboot, it auto-starts, and will climb in usage. The "temp" solution is kill all NVIDIA processes except the issue one, then kill the problematic one last. That way it won't return. the process is nvstreamsvc.exe. I've disabled the service in Task Manager + MSCongif.

Any bright ideas?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

Hello Alan1998

Try a system restore point that is before the latest NVidea updates were installed, newer is not always better and drivers should be left alone if you are not having problems, also keep in mind that driver updates are commonly released to address known issues, if you don`t have the actual issue concerned but you install the update you will often end up with the very issue that the update was intended to resolve.

The Golden Rule of Drivers: If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Hi, Phil.

Thanks for the idea + Helping. However, that idea just went through the drain. 1st failed, second left my computer unbootable. I spent 2 hrs fixing it  :smashcomp: . Any more ideas?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

Hello Alan

Have you tried uninstalling all NVidea software and starting afresh.

Run the NVidea auto detect tool, save the drivers to your desktop, create a new restore point,  uninstall the present drivers/software, restart the computer in Safe Mode, install the new drivers and see how it goes.

You are welcome btw  :)

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Hello Phill,

Thanks for your continuing support on this matter. It appears it's been resolved through other methods. Slight change from yours. I left all the drivers alone. Boted into Safe Mode w/ Netorking. Got the latest drivers from NVIDIA for my card, type etc. Then selected CLEAN Install from the beginning, that ran the corrupted serivce, but lasted long enough. I can now boot w/o issues. (First Try), so we'll see how it goes!

I cna't thank you enough!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

Hello Alan

Thanks for the update and for posting the method that you used, hopefully the issue is now resolved  :thumbsup:

For others that may read this thread, the reason why booting into Safe Mode was suggested to install the latest NVidea drivers was because only the most important Windows drivers are loaded if you boot into Safe Mode and no third party drivers, this avoids possible conflicts between any third party drivers and the fresh installation of the new NVidea drivers.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Hello,

I've booted a bunch more now, (Installing Games, programs etc!) No Issues so far. So everything appears to be worlking great. My method was done in Normal Mode (Regular boot). I would suggest Safe Mode (No Networking or CMD if avoidable)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

:thumbsup:

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

I should warn anyone. Do not update drivers unless you have an issue. In my case, it took my computer less then 2 mimnutes to consume over 4GB's of RAM! So DON'T update, and if you do, stay near the computer.

Phill, you are awesome!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

Sound advice Alan and thank you for your kind words  :blush: