Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop acting strange

• Please log in to reply

MyaK

MyaK

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,so recently my laptop was shutting down extremely slow, so I decided to do a avg tune up, disk cleaner(which wasn't working) so I also did a anti-mal scan and avg scan. I think I turn it to safe mode once, but after that I have been unable to connect to the internet, wifi, no volume, the taskbar still looks in safe mode   :headscratch: , the sticky notes(w/my reminders) has like no color. 
I am so confused,if anyone can help me please do  :-*
I have some online classes, and I am very attached to my laptop. 

Its a hp 2000-369WM Notebook PC

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:    Myak

Have you tried a system restore point that is before you ran the AVG software and scans, how to here

Do you have any reason to believe that your computer may have been infected with malware and that is why you ran the malware scans, depending on your reply you may need to be redirected to the malware forums.

MyaK

MyaK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I haven't yet, I will try that now 

I did a scan w/avg and mawarebytes,both did not detect anything 

MyaK

MyaK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

system restore won't load :/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Run SFC (system file checker) if errors are found you may need to run SFC 3/4 times for them all to be repaired;

Go to Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista - 7)
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista- 7)
Have the correct Windows CD/DVD handy (not always required).
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista & W7 users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.

The file may be large so upload it to http://www.mediafire.com/ and then post the download link here.

How to use mediafire  http://en.kioskea.ne...es-to-mediafire

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

MyaK

MyaK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

it just quit without any message

Edited by MyaK, 17 May 2014 - 04:09 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Are you saying that SFC ran, if yes, how long did it run.

Do you have a Vista/Windows 7 installation disk.

MyaK

MyaK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

It ran for about a minute,  and no I checked the system thing it says windows

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

I am trying to help you here Myak but for me to be able to do so I need you to answer my questions  :(

From my reply #2

Do you have any reason to believe that your computer may have been infected with malware and that is why you ran the malware scans, depending on your reply you may need to be redirected to the malware forums.

Please answer yes or no.

and no I checked the system thing it says windows

I asked if you had an installation disk, please explain what your answer is intended to mean.

MyaK

MyaK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I'm so sorry for responding late, but when I did a reboot I found a way to do a system restore when windows was starting up. 

My laptop is working fine now.

Thank you so much for your help and cooperation  :hug:

And so sorry for being so vague and unhelpful, I'm not very tech savy and was very lost throughout this whole thing :/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No worries Myak, we are pleased to hear that the issue is now resolved and thanks for the follow up  :thumbsup:

Two suggestions for you, 1: If you have not done so already create a new restore point. 2: Create a back up image of your HDD using Macrium Reflect (free) details here

You are welcome btw  :)