Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavilion 15-n252sq - Can not install Windows 7 over Free Dos

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

prophettt

prophettt

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello all,

I've recently bought a HP Pavilion 15-n252sq laptop, with Free Dos - unfortunately i can't install Windows 7 over it, due to the following error i keep receiveing in the Installation screen:

"Select the driver to be installed" - and regardless of the paths i have and the available folders, i can not seem to proceed wtih the W7 installation.

Please notice that, i've tried to use both a W7 DVD and also a bootable USB drive (and yes, connected in the USB 2.0 port and not USB 3.0 ) - but i always get to the same point where i have to select drivers.

Please also notice that the BIOS doesn't allow me to make any modifications except for some minor ones (like select boot priority, or enable USB 3.0), as the rest of the MAIN features are greyed out .

Can anyone please help me with this issue?

Regards,

Adrian

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:    prophettt

Can I ask what type of disk you have as in a full retail, OEM type,downloaded ISO etc.

Windows 7 should just format the HDD as it goes and then install itself on the HDD and so I am not sure where drivers are coming into it.

Do you have access to another computer to burn a disk on, DBan would fully wipe the HDD and allow for a clean install.

prophettt

prophettt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have used a Windows 7 SP1 ISO file, downloaded - burned to a DVD and also used for a bootable USB 2.0 drive.

Also, as a side note - when i'm being prompted with the previously message prompt - i have the option to Browse through any CD/ DVD, Removable Disks available or connected to the laptop but i can't seem to figure this whole driver part.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Can I ask from where you downloaded the ISO from.

Did you use the Windows 7 download tool.

A step by step guide to installing Windows 7 here

Sorry but got to ask, have you confirmed that the boot order is set to DVD drive first and the HDD second.

What type of disk did you burn Windows 7 to.

prophettt

prophettt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I have set the DVD to be the first boot-ing option, also made the same for the USB, when i tried to install from it.

Followed the exact same steps from the link each time, as i've installed multiple times in the past various versions of Windows.

Here is a screnshot of the issue

igbtdy.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Can I ask from where you downloaded the ISO from.

A step by step guide to installing Windows 7 here

Sorry but got to ask, have you confirmed that the boot order is set to DVD drive first and the HDD second.

What type of disk did you burn Windows 7 to.

Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads

As an additional thought, is there an option to change the settings from SATA to IDE mode.

prophettt

prophettt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

No, i haven't downloaded the Official ISO image, but this one (from the interwebz):

"Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 Integrated March 2014"

* CRC32: 62F8A431
* MD5: 63034C9B52C202345C8278BD266B1628
* SHA-1: 58328568EC6F758BF2C17645B16EB6CE1D4B5B82

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Sorry but I have not heard of interwebz, do you have a link to what you downloaded to ensure that it is legitimate.

Have you purchased a product key from Microsoft.

prophettt

prophettt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

interwebz = internet (just "slanged" it a bit") and also i don't believe it's a legitimate copy....

- also, after doing a little research it seems that both Windows 7 and Windows 8 don't recognize SATA drivers after fresh installing them (if these SATA drivers are not already/ previously installed)... could be the issue here as well?

Edited by prophettt, 18 May 2014 - 04:35 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Sorry but as per the GTG terms of service we cannot help anyone with illegally obtained software, the other forums that you have post on (including HP)  will also tell you this, 

p. The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software or services illegally.

Download the official ISO and purchase a product key from MS and you will not have a problem, what you have is a cracked version of Windows 7 that has files missing + it may also be loaded with malware.

prophettt

prophettt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I will give it a try later with the original OS from the links you've posted earlier, but what if it will occur again with that OS too?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

The issue most likely will not happen, if it does you can at least seek assistance safe in the knowledge that you are on the right side of the law and not likely to end up with a malware infected computer.

As we cannot continue with this topic due to the breach of the GTG terms of service the thread will be closed, the following only applies to the OP, if you feel that the thread should not be closed you should contact a Mod or Admin and state as to why, thank you for understanding.