Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unexpected_store_exception

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Apologies for the late reply, no free time for the forums yesterday  :no:

Glad to hear that things are going well and thanks for the feedback  :thumbsup:

I mentioned having a couple of suggestions for you, I will explain the first one for you below;

Partition your 1TB Seagate so that Windows is on its own 250GB partition, as to why this is a good idea is explained in my canned info below;

Just a fyi, Windows should always be installed on either its own drive or on a separate partition on a larger drive, this reduces the amount of free space that is required to be kept available + it makes creating a regular back a whole lot easier.

A 256GB SSD or separate partition on a larger capacity drive should be the minimum capacity allowed for.

Equally as important is being prepared for the need to upgrade to another OS, Windows 10 is nearing its end of life and extended support will cease on October 14th, 2025, when the time comes you will only have to worry about upgrading or clean installing Windows to the C: partition as opposed to needing to reinstall all of your programs and data if they were kept on a separate partition on the same drive.

Windows will also boot up quicker on its own partition as it does not need to install drivers for any third party programs.

See first answer here for " how to " shrink the present partition down to 250GB.

Once done can you include with your next reply a new screenshot of DiskManagement so that we can check the status of the drive, the new space will need to be initialised/activated.

To add to the above, if you think that it would be beneficial you could split the remaining space on the drive, some for your games and some for your personal data.

Advertisements

bambidbl

bambidbl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Hello,i dont really understand what i need to do as i dont have the same situation as in the miscrosoft post you sent.

Here is my disk manager,do i need to shrink the C;  drive or do i really dont undestand anything?

I am honestly lost in the instructions.

What i understand is that i need to put windows on a separate partition so it is left alone and is safer,but i  cant get the c:partition under 516074 mo. i dont understand and sorry abt that

Attached Thumbnails

• Annotation 2024-04-25 123400.png

Edited by bambidbl, Today, 04:46 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Here is my disk manager,do i need to shrink the C;  drive or do i really dont undestand anything?

Only do what you are comfortable with but in answer to your question, yes, you shrink the 930GB C: partition which then creates a new unallocated partition which is what you would then have to work with for games and personal data.

Windows is already on its own partition and you are on the right track, why it will not let you go below 516074MB I have no idea.

Just looked at the Windows 7 info at the link that was provided, it is worth looking at as it is more informative.

Got work to do so will not be around for an hours or so.

bambidbl

bambidbl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

ok no problem thank you for your help and your time the computer works normally and even better than before!

I ll search a bit to see if i can figure it out,thank you again.