Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to expand my partition space?

• Please log in to reply

Dominic942

Dominic942

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello, do you guys know how to extend system partition space in details?

In fact, recently, my computer system space has got a low disk space problem and doesn’t allow me to install any large game there. The computer also is really slow. So, I think perhaps I can expand this partition space to fix that. But, I don’t know how to do that? Do you have any idea? If you do, I hope you can give me some detailed steps. Thank you very much!

Advertisements

Andy45

Andy45

• Pip
  • 1 posts

OK! You’d better provide us with much more information about your problem next time. What version of Windows do you use? Is there any free space on the same physical drive with this system partition?

If you do have free space there and you are also using Windows7 or 8, you can directly try to open Disk Management, shrink or delete a partition with free space and right click this system partition to “extend” it there. But, if the “extend” option doesn’t work, a partition resizing tool may help you out, like GParted, IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free and EaseUS Partiton Master and more.

But, if you are using Windows XP, you may have to choose the partition resizing tools.

But, if unfortunately, you do have no any free pace there, you may have to buy a larger drive.

Overall, no matter what way you choose to use, never forget to back up all partition data well in case of data loss.

Edited by Andy45, 19 May 2014 - 01:37 AM.

Barlow730

Barlow730

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Yes, you can try to extend your system partition, if there is free space on other partitions. Just try to extend this system partition in Disk Management or using some partition resizing tools.

Here is a video tutorial that talks about how to expand a partition space in details:

youtube.com/watch?v=6jCeT7CbsKk

It may give you some help.

Make data backups in advance.