Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I buy or just upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

Augustas Vilcinskas

Augustas Vilcinskas

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hello, I have [bleep] pc with [bleep] graphic card. It's intergrated graphics (64mb). 4GB ram and Intel Core i5-2400S @ 2.50GH processor. Should I upgrade my Graphics card and something else or should I just build a new PC? And If I upgrade my graphics card will I be able to play games like DayZ, Far Cry 3 etc..

Advertisements

Lemurian

Lemurian

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Just buy a new PCI-X graphic card, and you'll be able to play them. No need to buy a new PC. i5 is powerful enough. 

I'd consider also getting more RAM, like up to 8Gb if your mainboard lets do it.

Augustas Vilcinskas

Augustas Vilcinskas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hello Lemurian. Where can I find info about my mainboard? And can you link me a good graphic card that would be fit to my pc? Cause I don't think i need a very good one cause my pc won't be able to use the full power of it :? (I don't really know what i'm talking about.  This is my PC (How it looks like the spec are custom)

Edited by Augustas Vilcinskas, 19 May 2014 - 06:28 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

I would advice against trying to turn this business class computer into a gaming rig.

It has a Mini PCI-E slot, so a decent gaming video card would not be an option.

240W is the Standard Power supply, so that would need upgrading, almost impossible to find one that would fit in this case.

You would likely end up with heat issues being such a small case and does not look as though you could add more fans.

Not worth the hassle and cost and you would be very disappointed with the performance.

http://www.pcworld.c...ompaq_8200.html

If you would like to build your own? we can configure a build for you to consider.

Please give us your budget and in which country you will purchase parts.

Apart from gaming, what other things will you use it for, Photo/video editing? CAD applications? or mainly web browsing, watching videos, some office work? 

Augustas Vilcinskas

Augustas Vilcinskas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hello, I use my pc for Web Surfing, Office work, but mainly for gaming. I'm buying my parts from Lithuania. I don't know the exact budget. But if you can find the parts with minimum budget. I want to play games like DayZ Far Cry. With Medium- A bit higher then medium graphics. Thanks in advance.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the info.

I have put a build up for you to consider using German sites as this will at least give you prices in Euros.

All quality parts that will give you very good gaming and application performance. 

Parts list does not include an Operating System, > http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/3NwJc

Augustas Vilcinskas

Augustas Vilcinskas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hello, The Pc You build is Very Good. I removed 1 TB of Storage, And What internet card should i Choose? And A cooler? Or don't I need one?

Edited by Augustas Vilcinskas, 21 May 2014 - 03:03 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

You do not need to buy a cooler/heasink as that is included with the CPU.  I should also make you aware that if you do use a cooler/heatsink that is different from the one included in a boxed retail CPU, (as listed) you will void the AMD warranty.   If the CPU is then damaged, you will have to legitable claim.

Onboard Ethernet (1) 10/100/1000 Mbps. you do not need an addition card to access the internet.

2 Hard Drives are included.   

Reasons.  OS, Programs and games on one drive.

All your Date, (My Docs, Pictures, Music, Videos and Downloads from the Net, go on the second drive + an image of the drives and daily backups.

This gives better performance and safety.   If your OS drive fails, or gets corrupted, you Data is safe.

If you think you will go ahead with the build, You can download the user manuals from the manufacturers websites so you can learn about the hardware and software used.

We are here to help, so any question, please post. 

Augustas Vilcinskas

Augustas Vilcinskas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I think that's what i wanted to ask. I'm still think of buying 2 hardwares but with smaller storage like 500gb Each. And maybe you could offer a cheaper build? Like 720-800 Euros.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

If you need to buy a OS, you're probably looking at 1k Euros. And assuming you buy the parts from PC part picker, you'll only be able to use 4GB's of RAM. Source: http://msdn.microsof...imits_windows_7

So, that being said, you'd need to get your hands on a x64 and  not x86 (32Bit)

Advertisements

Augustas Vilcinskas

Augustas Vilcinskas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

What can i say. I'm a pirate.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Don't go out pirating the OS. That's just plain stupid and will probably just lead to a massive amount of security issue.

Augustas Vilcinskas

Augustas Vilcinskas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I've done it all my life. I won't start buying the OS now. I'm currently using that kind of OS. I have 0 problems with it. And in my country piracy isn't even a crime. (maybe it is, but no1 cares)

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

You live in Germany right? http://www.zdnet.com...own-7000018915/

It is illegal where you live. I wouldn't advise pirating even if it is legal.

It's ulitmally your choice, but don't say I didn't warn you. Like the example of you getting free "giveaways". It's free, but malicious.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Direct to Augustas Vilcinskas

May I remind you of the GTG Terms of Use that you agreed to abide by when you became a member of GTG, in this instance;

p. The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software or services illegally.