Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics Problem - lines on display

Best Answer phillpower2 , 06 June 2014 - 03:36 AM

Does your computer normally beep once when it boots into Windows successfully, if yes it means that you have an onboard BIOS speaker which can help with troubleshooting. There is no conclusive... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

infinity124

infinity124

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hi all,

I used to browse this site for tips in the past but am now in dire need of help.

I have an old pc however it never gave me any major problems.

Yesterday, while playing a game, my monitor started displaying some bizarre red lines and after a couple of minutes playing with lines my pc froze.

When I rebooted the system, lines and symbols started showing up in startup and in Bios! (pics attached).

When windows starts loading, the monitor simply shuts off and displays 'no signal' while the pc keeps on running normally.

I am now in Safe Mode and there are still lines displaying.

In DxDiag I noticed that in the display section there is no graphics card written down and it states that no driver has been installed. (pics attached)

I tried to install new drivers for my graphics card but to no avail because when rebooting, everything is the same as before even dxdiag (as If I did nothing).

Can anyone help me please? I would really appreciate it.

I'm attaching 2 DxDiag reports - one is before I had this problem and one is how it is showing after the problem.

Thanks in advance.

PC specs:

Mobo - Abit Fatal1ty An8-SLi

CPU - AMD Athlon 3800+

GFX - NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

Windows XP SP 3

Attached Thumbnails

• DxDiag.JPG
  • Bios.JPG
  • Desktop.JPG

Attached Files

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts

:welcome:   infinity124

As the issue is present in the BIOS it suggests a hardware as opposed to software issue, this because no Windows or third party drivers are installed until Windows has booted up successfully.

Please post the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

To rule out a monitor or video cable issue can you try connecting the display to another computer, a notebooks VGA port will do.

Are you comfortable with working inside the computer, if yes; with the computer disconnected from the wall socket etc, ground yourself by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU then try removing the Ram and add on video card, blowing out the slots, reseat the items securely, check all internal connections are secure, reassemble and test.

Let us know how it goes.

infinity124

infinity124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I changed the cable of the monitor and same thing happened however I didnt try another monitor entirely (I will do that soon).

I swapped RAMs thoroughly and checked all ram slots and different rams also.

I removed the gfx card and cleaned it and checked if resistors are ok and still had the same result.

I also tried placing gfx card in another pci-e slot but pc started having a continuous long beep upon startup and monitor didnt display anything.

Regarding the psu, it is ezcool. I will post the model soon.

A point I wish to add is the following although im not sure if it is related:

In the past few weeks when starting the pc after a day at work it starts making bios code beeps and shutsdown immediately and this goes on for 2-3 times before it successfully starts.

Also sometimes I forget to switch off the psu supply (switch at the back of the case). When I do this I have trouble starting the pc. What I would have to do is switch the psu supply on and off repeatedly before the display on my motherboard shows code 10 (which when I push the power button it starts successfully).

Thanks for any help!!

infinity124

infinity124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I plugged another monitor and the same result was showing. Im not sure about the psu model but I am attaching a picture for your perusal.

Thanks for any help

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140520_165448.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts

The PSU was my first suspicion and with what you have now told us it more or less confirms it as the cause, if it has gone bad I hope that it has not taken your video card out with it, do you have anyone who can try your card in their computer, it is not advisable to do this with your PSU in case it pops.

If you do not have a spare PSU or one that you can borrow for testing purposes I suggest that you have yours tested by a local tech store, some do it for free and some for a small fee.

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

There are no user replaceable parts in a PSU so a bad one should be disposed of in a responsible manner and any type of conclusive testing will need to be done by a suitably trained Tech who has the required testing equipment and the relevant knowledge as to how to use it.

Please note that there is one thing that is possibly worse than using a known poor quality brand of PSU and that is using one that is unheard of, for brands of PSU to trust and brands to avoid please refer to the attached links http://www.10stripe.com/featured/psu/brand.php and http://www.pcmech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208143

PSU database http://www.realhardt...vos/Page541.htm

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page) .

infinity124

infinity124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I will try my gfx card in another pc and will try another psu on my pc or get mine tested.

What should I know before buying a psu? To make sure it is compatible with my mobo?

Pentium? Socket?

Thanks for your help :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts

Before purchasing a new PSU it is advisable that you measure the dimensions of the present PSU and ensure that the new PSU has the correct power connections for the MB, HDDs, optical drives, FDDs or add on cards such as a video card if one is fitted.

If you tell us what country you are in we will look for some PSUs for you.

Your MB is an AMD platform so Intel Pentium does not come into it.

You are welcome btw  :)

infinity124

infinity124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
But I think the psu only attaches to the mobo or am I mistaking? I live in Malta.

should I give you details of my components?

re the pentium ur right I forgot however on the side of the psu u can see pentium 4 written (see attached pic)

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts

Ideally we need to wait on your test results but I took a look for example PSUs for you, your choice of quality brands is rather limited and expensive I'm afraid, here is an example of what I could find.

You are welcome btw  :)

infinity124

infinity124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the reply.

That was what I was browsing also.

So basically if the guy at the store tells me that the psu is faulty I can buy the one you gave me? And if they don't have in stock what do I have to look out for, dimensions and what else?

Cheers

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts

All quality brands will have the appropriate connections but the PSU is best if bronze rated, checking that the card is good or bad must be done before purchasing any PSU.

You are welcome  :)

infinity124

infinity124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I will take gfx card with me along the psu to test them out.

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts

Good luck and let us know how you get on  :thumbsup:

infinity124

infinity124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I just came from the shop and apparently the gfx is the problem because when he placed it in one of their pc's it was showing exactly the same as at my house with the vertical lines and when windows tries to load, the monitor switches off.

When he tested the psu it ran apparently smooth with no problems.

They had a geforce g210 in stock for 28euros approx 35 us dollars. Its with the same specs that I had (if not better.. I had geforce 7600gs) so I decided to buy it and hopefully no problems will arise.

I tried it and pc worked ok but didint have time to test it completely and install drivers. Will keep you updated.

Thanks for now

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts

Not ideal due to the financial outlay but at least you now have a working computer  :thumbsup:

When you are able to please do the following so that we can check your temps and voltages;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.