Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics Problem - lines on display

Best Answer phillpower2 , 06 June 2014 - 03:36 AM

Does your computer normally beep once when it boots into Windows successfully, if yes it means that you have an onboard BIOS speaker which can help with troubleshooting. There is no conclusive... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

infinity124

infinity124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hey,

I am attaching a screenshot of what you asked me.

Furthermore, I have been getting BSOD's in various basic tasks like desktop and google chrome.

I am attaching my DxDiag and MiniDump zipped file - maybe you can have a look at it. 

2 errors that I remember were usbohic.sys and win32k.sys i think or something on those lines.

I don't know if this helps..

After 4 BSODs in a row I noticed the positions of the RAM which where:

(1st slot black - 1 RAM) (2nd slot black - 1 RAM) (3rd slot red - empty) (4th slot red - empty)  

Now got them: (1st slot black - 1 RAM) (2nd slot black - empty) (3rd slot red - 1 RAM) (4th slot red - empty)

Could this have been the reason for my BSODs?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• Speedfan.JPG

Attached Files

Edited by infinity124, 22 May 2014 - 08:43 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts

Sorry but I cannot be around much today due to other commitments  :(

Took a look at a few of the dumps and there are more than one cause, one offender that I will ask that you deal with is AVG as it may resolve the others.

Uninstall AVG using the removal tool from here

Download and install Avast free from here

Let us know if there is any improvement.

Back in a few hours.

infinity124

infinity124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hi

Thanks for your help and reply as always. Sorry I didn't reply but was busy with work these past few days.

Apparently the RAM thing was the issue. As I mentioned I swapped one module from the 2nd slot to the 3rd slot and now have RAMs in the 1st and the 3rd slots.

Could this be that module 2 of the RAM isn't working properly?

PC ok now btw :)

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts

Hello infinity124

I have not been around myself so no worries  :thumbsup:

So you now have sticks of Ram in slots 1 and 3 and the computer is stable, is that correct.

infinity124

infinity124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello,
That is correct. Pc is stable now and no more BSODs unless I dont put in a ram in the other slots.

Thing I noticed though is that when I start up my pc it still makes the beep code noise (1 long beep and 1 short beep) and simply shuts down (monitor doesn't even display anything). The same as before. .

I have to start pc twice or 3 times until it successfully switches on.

What could this be pls?

Tgankw

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts

Hello infinity124

One long and then one short error beep suggests a problem with the MB, this could be a faulty memory slot or as you are having start up issue the "power good signal" which apart from being MB related it could also be the PSU not working correctly or a faulty power on button on your case, if you read the information at the power good link below you will note that it mentions that "el cheapo" PSUs are prone to causing problems with the power good signal.

Can I ask, did you see the store test your PSU and if so did they use the proper testing equipment as shown in use here, if no to one or both then your PSU cannot be ruled out as the cause,you may recall from my reply #5 the following;

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

BIOS beep codes

Power good signal information.

infinity124

infinity124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Yes he just placed PSU on one of their pc's (infront of me) and it started up instantly no problems whatsoever. He DID NOT do what is shown in the link you sent me.

I believe the RAM slots are not working correctly so this maybe the problem and maybe the PSU is defective also. Is there a way of knowing whether the PSU is working correctly myself? because I don't think they have that equipment you sent me lol.

Thanks a bunch!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
✓  Best Answer

Does your computer normally beep once when it boots into Windows successfully, if yes it means that you have an onboard BIOS speaker which can help with troubleshooting.

There is no conclusive test that you can do without the proper PSU testing equipment, sorry  :(