Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 white screen after windows starts (not fake fbi scam)

• Please log in to reply

robbie83

robbie83

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi everyone. So this has gone on for some time but i dont notice it much as I only restart my computer once every 2 weeks or so (bad i know.)

When i turn the computer on everything goes fine. Windows boots and goes to the login screen. I log in and then instead of going to my background picture and windows i get a blank white screen.

No text or border or anything jsut a white screen and my mouse cursor which i can move. It will stay like that until i hit cntrl alt del which brings up the menu for task manager and such. choosing to open task manager will bring it up and then a few seconds later the white screen goes away and my desktop appears with all my icons and everythign runs just fine after that. I havent left it like that to see how long it goes on just about 10 minutes or so. Reading up on it i thought it was that fake fbi hijack scam. It is not as far as i can tell. The computer does not lock up or restart. Not a serious issue as far as i can tell but i would like to know why it is doign that and take care of it. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Edited by robbie83, 20 May 2014 - 04:19 PM.

Advertisements

Lemurian

Lemurian

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

I had a problem like that few years ago, I think it was WinXP.

Check out if the problem arises at Safe Mode.

By the way, did you notice when it started -- you might have installed some new software or smth like that.

Heavy artillery solution is to reinstall your OS, especially if it has been running for couple years or more.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:     robbie83

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.