Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP "Search" vs old Win's "Find"

• Please log in to reply

veryveryjoyful

veryveryjoyful

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello all! :tazz:

Just got new PC with Win XP. I absolutely hate the Search layout compared to my old Win 98 "Find" (Tabs: General?, Date, Advanced). I found FIND one SO much easier to use -- much more intuitive to MY brain <grin>. I HOPE someone can tell me how to switch back to (or add back) the old Find layout. I sure appreciate any help u can give me. Thank you

Advertisements

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
ok there are several things you are going to need to change if you want it to be like 98 1st lets start with your task bar. right click the bar at bottom of the screen then click properties, then click the start menu tab and select classic mode ;) tell me if u were succsefull at this plz then we will move on :tazz:

veryveryjoyful

veryveryjoyful

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi, Bob!! Thanks for the help! Am I going to have to turn everything into WIN 98 "mode" in order to get back my old tried and true "Find"? ...I'm not averse to this...just curious. Am ready for the next step whenever you are.. <grin>

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
no im pretty sure this would change it, but then again it could be changed to that perminetaly. i misread your post and thought you wanted enitre win 98 explorer. if u do want win 98 explore, its easy to acomplish. (it wont be all the same but it will be close)

veryveryjoyful

veryveryjoyful

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi again Bob.

IF the Win98 Windows Explorer includes that elusive "Find" search, I'm all for it....I don't MIND the XP windows explorer except for that #(&*@%*&# Search <grin>.

When you say it will change it 'permanently' do you mean that explicity? That I would NEVER be able to get back to the original settings? What if my 'puter locks up? and/or won't load or something? That scares me a bit.

Before doing any major, permanent change....shouldn't I do some kind of backup. They did not give me a Win XP CD and I haven't yet (I know, I know) created my system restoration CD's...should prob do that first, right?

It's great of you to try to help me. Thanks again. Kathy

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
no no no misconception. i ment that the search might not be able to be changed to find.

here do this plz and c if it changes- right click the bar at bottom of the screen then click properties, then click the start menu tab and select classic mode

veryveryjoyful

veryveryjoyful

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Bob, I did that already...the only thing that changed was that the Start Menu now looks like the 'classic' -- Windows Explorer looks the same and the SEARCH is still the same.

The ONLY thing I am trying to get is the old FIND....if I can't, there's no point in changing Windows Explorer as everything else is okay....i just don't like the way SEARCH is set up!! :tazz: ...

;) ... ;) Kathy

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
k im sry i had done more research on the subject you will not be able to change it :tazz:

veryveryjoyful

veryveryjoyful

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Bob, thanks anyway...I do appreciate your time and effort. And, as I always say....unless you ask, you never know. So I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get used to it :tazz:

Many hugs for your help, Kathy