Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Putting together various old PCs need help with drivers (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

old-fart

old-fart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

http://images.eselle.../674/05/007.JPG

Apart from a capacitor type and some of the markings on the left sticker it's exactly the same.

hee's a snippet from a detailed review of the card

"... . The Gigabyte GV-R435OC-512I videocard draws very little power, with a total system power draw of only 79W at idle, and 109W at peak according to our tests. It's also stays quite cool, ... ."  So, I wonder, as some may be drawn to think this is a gaming card and therefore, of its generation, have power hungry peripherals, to the target maket it's necessary to emphasise a minimum psu which as the 755 is not a gaming machine but a 'green' workstation built for optimised low power consumption is not applicable (?) it seems a better minimum is really 300 or a bit less with 400 as a safe in most cases minimum. http://www.pcstats.c...id=2408&page=10 goes through a number of heavyload benchmark tests which in my case it will never experience. As heat is not an issue and 80 is not far off 75 even with possible added load I'll give this a bit more thought. I always have an option to downgrade to a 256 and a 32 m card.

Thank's for the help in thinking through this.

Edited by old-fart, 07 June 2014 - 05:16 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Please excuse me for not referring to yourself as old-fart  :)

As per my previous reply you should follow the guidance in the video card manual, this is best practice if only to cover yourself  :yes:

What you can do is use a PSU calculator for guidance but in the event of a card failure it will not help with any warranty, example PSU calculator here

Thread going off topic here and starting a new topic for any future upgrades on different computers would be more appropriate  :thumbsup:

old-fart

old-fart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

:) You're excused. 

I should point out these bits are from a collection of components I've been accumulating over the years and warranty is not an issue. If it is for someone then certainly take it into consideration. 

The calculator was helpful (bookmarked). It gave a figure of 318w so a 330 or 350 should be sufficient. I do have a couple lying around. So it's my choice to rebuild the case or to use a lower powered card. Clear.

Later.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

:thumbsup:

old-fart

old-fart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

so far I've got four pc's saticfactorily up and running.

Finally with the help of posts on this forum I've cracked the fifth. Had to get a new psu. I figured if the mb is at fault the new psu won't be a waste. A mate who builds gaming rigs suggested a thermaltake as from his experience he gets fewer comebacks with it but at the shop (I live outback australia with a couple hours drive to anywhere with decent pc parts ranges and prices so any purchases have to be planned to make sense economically) the guy suggested a cooler master at only 15 $ more is a better choice. after humming and hawing I went with his advice (comments?) I also bought a cheap basic 1gig videocard becuause it had a couple of low form factor backing plates which frees up easily a sapphire I've got for the opt755 with the new card for the quad I'm cobbling together now which brings me to the point of this post.

I went to bed last night a bit concerned about it all as a bare setup showed there was no signal to the lcd let alone no fans spinning etc, just the psu clicking. A bit refreshed this morning I read posts on here, as usual, and :alarm: : I had completely forgotten about plugging in a switch, as well as speaker, so switch in place, speaker too and all's good. Now to box it up. Thank you very much for the help, direct and indirect, just for being here, and, I suppose, close thread.

Cheers.

Later.

edit typos

Edited by old-fart, 29 June 2014 - 06:43 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you, been very busy with work  :(

Glad to hear that project #5 is complete and is now up and running  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the follow up and you are most welcome btw  :)