Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network problem?

• Please log in to reply

That one shady guy

That one shady guy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, so I seem to be having a problem with Internet connectivity.
Ever since maybe a couple months ago, I've been having an odd problem with my Internet.
My Internet continues to be slow and overall, have a shotty connection. For example, it'll continue to switch between being fine and limited connectivity. What's funny is it has full bars and my laptop isn't but 5-10 feet away from my router, yet these problems persist. At times, it will literally refuse to work for a random amount of time before it just lets me back on like no problem.

Can anyone help fix this?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   That one shady guy

First thing I suggest is flushing the DNS Cache "how to" below;

1.Press the Windows key then type in cmd (do not press Enter)
2.In the search results that come up, right click “cmd” and run as administrator, when the screen flashes and asks for permission, accept it.
3.In the command prompt type in ipconfig /flushdns (or right click and paste it to the command prompt) then press Enter.
You should then see a dialog box saying successfully flushed resolver cache, if so you are done.

So that we can see what is going on with the hardware and software, download then run Speccy and post the resultant url for us please, details here

That one shady guy

That one shady guy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

:welcome:   That one shady guy

First thing I suggest is flushing the DNS Cache "how to" below;

1.Press the Windows key then type in cmd (do not press Enter)
2.In the search results that come up, right click “cmd” and run as administrator, when the screen flashes and asks for permission, accept it.
3.In the command prompt type in ipconfig /flushdns (or right click and paste it to the command prompt) then press Enter.
You should then see a dialog box saying successfully flushed resolver cache, if so you are done.

So that we can see what is going on with the hardware and software, download then run Speccy and post the resultant url for us please, details here

Do I just post it as a PM?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Include the url in your next reply please, there is no personal or security information in the report so it is perfectly safe.

Did you flush the DNS ok.

That one shady guy

That one shady guy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...82nPaUrqrYpObld

Done.

Also, I flushed it perfectly fine.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Please follow the guide here. :)

http://www.ihelpforu...-windows-7.221/

That one shady guy

That one shady guy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Can I get someone to make sure that link is legit? No offense, rockmilk.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Link is legit I have been posting here for 4 years. :)  The moderators would not allow me to still be active, if I were posting bad links.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Anyway here it is....

Open your device manager, hit the start button then copy and paste devmgmt.msc into the start search box hit enter.

Left click the + next to network adapters, right click and un-install your wireless driver and your ethernet driver, make sure and do not tick the box that says delete driver.

Then, click the View menu and select Show hidden devices
Then hit view again and select devices by connection.

Then scroll down right click and uninstall the drivers listed below,dont worry these will be reinstalled upon reboot by windows.

• Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock
  • Net BT
  • Http
  • Net Io Legacy Support Driver
  • Tcp/ip Protical Driver
  • Tcp/ip Registry Compatibility
  • NSI proxy Service
  • ide channel
  • Nd Proxy
  • Security Driver
  • Security Processor Loader Driver
  • Windows Firewall Authorization Driver

Each of these files will request a reboot after uninstall wait until the last one to reboot.

Run This to find the best dns server for your machine, shut down your antivirus while it runs.

Then once the tool has completed, and displayed the best DNS for your machine, apply the settings.

Run a Command as Administrator from the Windows 7 ...

Copy and paste the content of the code box, one at a time hitting enter after each.

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

Then disable Ipv6 with this Ms Fixit.

Remove the tunnel adapters, with this Ms Fixit.

Download TCP Optimizer.
Save it to your desktop.
Right Click Run As Administrator.
At the bottom right hand corner, of TCP optimizer select optimal
The hit apply, ok, and ok again then reboot.

Edited by rockmilk, 23 May 2014 - 04:58 PM.