Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Folders disappearing

• Please log in to reply

Paul432220

Paul432220

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

I have recently started to see a strange behaviour on my Win 7 laptop. I'm working with a $user directory in the root underwhich all my personal data is located, makes things easy if need to backup my data or move them to another PC. Now i redirected "My Documents" to this "$user" directory  as this makes things easy when e.g. you want to save a Word or excel file, you fall right in the correct directory.

Now, since a few days, when i open the Explorer, this $user directory is not visible anymore, the  folder disappeared out of the list. However, when i checked via a cmd window, i see it is still there. I have already found out that by deleting the "desktop.ini" file in this "$user" directory, it becomes visible again, so this is a good bypass, hower, after a while (can be 10min, or 2 days, have not yet understood the logic), it is again invisble.

As i have no idea where this comes from, i ran following things:

- Symantic Endpoint protection scan (nothing)

- TDSS, nothing strange

-Rkill; nothing

Any thoughts what might have this folder disappear suddenly ?

thanks, Paul.

Advertisements