Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no sound device, win xp

• Please log in to reply

reach1

reach1

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I got this old laptop 2 weeks ago and I was trying to update the original xp software and drivers.

For the most part it was easy untill I tryed to update my sound. I was having trouble finding the right file so I decided to try Realtek AC'97 sound device and that uninstalled my original Sigmatel sound controller with out warning. I ended up getting the blue warning screen and had to Delete the Realtek program in Safe Mode. Now it tells me I have no sound device but the Realtek AC'97 shows up under my "Legacy Audio Driver Properties" (audio devices; audio for realtek ac97 audio)(MIDI devices; midi for realtek ac97 audio)(Mixer divices; mixer for realtek audio). I keep trying to delete these but they just pop back up. I would like my sound back or any sound.

I have a gateway 400vtx laptop with intel celeron integrated 32 bit graphics.

On another note I downloaded PC Wizard 2013 and that program does not load. It scans my laptop and stops responding when it scans the Drive controller.

Also I try to download other sound devices from intel and it just trys to install Realtek AC'97 again or it says the file is not compatible.

Edited by reach1, 22 May 2014 - 06:45 PM.

Advertisements

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

--------------------------------------
Summary
Computer Brand Name:                                            Gateway Gateway 400VTX
Operating System:                                               Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Build 2600
Service Pack:                                                   Service Pack 3
Processor:                                                      Intel Mobile Celeron-2200 (2200.0 MHz)
Motherboard:                                                    Gateway Gateway 400VTX (Intel 852GM/852GMV (Montara-GML) + ICH4-M)
Memory:                                                         768 MBytes (Single-Channel)
Hard Drive:                                                     FUJITSU MHV2040AH (38,154 MBytes (40 GB))
Optical Drive:                                                  Slimtype COMBO LSC-24081M (Combo CD-R Writer)
Display Adapter:                                                Intel 82852GM(E/V)/PM/855GM(E) (G)MCH - Integrated Graphics Controller [A1] [Gateway 2000]
                                                                Intel 82852GM(E/V)/PM/855GM(E) (G)MCH - Integrated Graphics Controller [A1] [Gateway 2000]
Audio Adapter:                                                  Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-1]

I Really Need Help

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Look at the 4th post in this thread by LookinAround:

http://www.techspot....m350mvn.186005/

Download that driver and install it following the directions at the link provided.

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

didn't work. I get a warning sign that says;

Hardware Installation

The software you are installing for this hardware

Realtek AC97 Audio

has not passed Windows Logo testing to varify its compatibility with Windows XP.(Tell me why this testing is important)

Continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system either immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends that you stop this installation now and contact the hardware vendor for the software that has passed Windows Logo testing.

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I'm not suppose to have Realtek i'm suppose to have SigmaTel. In the removal instructions I downloaded of that file it said;

Removal

1.  From the Start menu, click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2.  In the Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance.

3.  In Performance and Maintenance click the System icon.

4.  In the System Properties box, click Device Manager.

5.  Click Sound, video and Game controllers.

6.  Double-click --------(SigmaTel C-Major)--------, and click the Driver tab.

7.  On the Driver tab, click Uninstall.

8.  Click OK to confirm device removal.

9.  Close Device Manager.

Sigmatel is the file that was removed when my audio worked.

I don't know why it keeps trying to install the wrong Realtek AC97 software?

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I think the deal is I have the wrong audio controller installed on my laptop. For some reason when ever I try to install a the right software it keeps installing the wrong software.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

The .inf files says: AC97 WDM SigmaTel Driver Disk

so it is for the Sigmatel sound chip.

Did you click Continue? That's what you need to do.

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

ya but it gave me a error, hold on let me do it again.

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Now it says;

Insert Disc

Please insert the compact Disc labeled 'Realtek AC97

Audio Driver Disc' into your CD-ROM drive (D:) and

then click OK.

You can also click OK if you want files to be copied

from an alternate location, such as a floppy disc or a

network server.

---Clicked OK.

Files Needed

The file 'ALCXWDM.SYS' on Realtek AC97 Audio

Driver Disc is needed.

Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.

---Selected C:\cabs\9524559

---Clicked OK.

---Nothing happens

---Selected all paths that show up in the (Copy files from list) and nothing happens.

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

no sound.....................

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I don't see this problem ever getting fixed :(

Will this work?

http://www.amazon.co...tx restore disc

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Did you point the browse to where you saved the file Ztrucker mentioned earlier?

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

OMG FINALLY I FIXED IT, YES THE SWEET SOUND OF SUCCESS. :)

Solution, Deleted EVERYTHING(in the add/remove program on control panel) that was not a windows component, rebooted, tryed to install and no luck, got blue screen. Then I reinstalled ccleaner and my virus protection software, rebooted and followed intallation instructions from ztucker's link and it worked.

Basically, Delete all non-essential programs. Maybe I just had to wait longer to try and install after reboot? or maybe I just had to delete and re-install and wait five minutes or so for everything to load up, then install.

Anyway I was literally pulling my hair out on a few occasions now I got jokes (to watch). :)

Edited by reach1, 25 May 2014 - 02:06 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Glad to hear it is ok now and great job.