Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Yahoo Messenger Thru a Firewall

• Please log in to reply

incognito

incognito

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Anyone know how I can use Yahoo Messenger behind a firewall? Thanks!

Advertisements

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
go into conrtoll panel>windows firewalls. then click the exseptions tab and add the yahoo messenger. this should work

incognito

incognito

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

go into conrtoll panel>windows firewalls. then click the exseptions tab and add the yahoo messenger. this should work

View Post

Thanks, tried that but it says I need to be an administrator to effect changes to "Windows Firewall". It wouldn't even allow me to make any changes on the settings. Everything is disabled.

I was thinking something like for MSN messenger you can go to: http://webmessenger....efault.aspx?R=1 and of you go and you can chat all you want.... even thru a firewall.

Let me know if you got more ideas.

Cheers!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You would be better using a third party firewall. Windows Firewall only deals with incoming data

Zone Alarm will deal with incoming and outgoing data. It is free and you can get it here

http://www.zonelabs....alm_details.jsp

Continue to select Zone Alarm throughout the installation

Turn Windows Firewall off when Zone Alarm is installed

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
are your the admin on your computer? and windows messenger works because the firewall is atomatically set to let it go through. (its made by microsoft that y)