Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any way around a Format and Re-install?

• Please log in to reply

PurVirgo

PurVirgo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello and thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

I'm working on a friend's computer, and have got all kinds of problems.

While I was called to help with problems she was having with AOL 9.0 SE, I did a little digging and found her computer to be an all-out mess.

I've installed and run SpyBot, Ad-Aware, and Grisoft AV for starters, and have pretty much gotten her computer clean of Spyware, and thankfully there were no viruses on the system. However the original problem (not being able to print from AOL's interface) was still there. So I uninstalled all instances of AOL from her computer, and re-installed it. To no avail.

Then I started tooling around with MSIE, and got my first glimpse of the problems she's having. When I clicked on "About Internet Explorer" in the pull down menu, I got the info screen for MSIE, but with a strange display. I'm not seeing the build number, Cypher strength, or any kind of information... just blank fields.

Also, the "Help and Support" feature of XP just isn't there. As in I can't bring up ANY part of the help module in XP. No troubleshooter either, as I suspect that's also part of the help module also.

That's not all... The "Search" module is inaccessible, save for that annoying animated dog. And, to really make me grind my teeth, I can't access "System Restore".

What gives, guys?? Is her registry screwed to the point that my only option is to completely format the drive and re-install the OS??

I really, REALLY hesitate to do this, because she can't find the original software that came with her computer, which leaves me with putting someone else's copy of XP on her computer.

I've never been at a loss of what to do, so anything you guys can come up with would really be awesome.

Thanks again!!

EDIT: The computer in question is running XP Home Edition, not Professional (what I'm running), if that makes any difference.

Edited by PurVirgo, 09 June 2005 - 06:08 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The better long term option will be to replace the software

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;326246

Every sensible repair option depends on having the XP CD

PurVirgo

PurVirgo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That's what I was afraid of :tazz:

Ah well, you're correct in that it will be better in the long run to do a format and re-install.

Thanks!!

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
You can easily find the XP cd key for her installation, and providing it is legitimate you can reinstall using any XP home edition CD.

This tool will assist to to get the XP key.

Everest home edition

Once installed click on operating system folder , then on operating system again and you will see your Key.

Edited by usetobe, 11 June 2005 - 02:38 AM.

PurVirgo

PurVirgo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ah, I didn't realize I could do that!! Thank you so much for your help.

One quick question, just to see if I was on a wild goose chase - do you know of any problems occuring with printing from the AOL Interface? She was running AOL 9.0 Security Edition, and the printing error was what she originally called me about.

I googled the [bleep] out the 'net to look for a solution...

::edit:: -whoops, I didn't realize I said a dirty word!!! So sorry...

Edited by PurVirgo, 11 June 2005 - 02:44 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation lets you keep your existing files and settings

http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm

PurVirgo

PurVirgo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Once installed click on operating system folder , then on operating system again and you will see your Key.

View Post

Quick question, as I'm not familiar with this new Activation process (my PC came pre-activated)

am I going to have to Re-activate her PC, as if I were doing an out of box install?

Or do I just enter the product key?

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
XP will need reactivation, just follow the procedure