Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram Memory Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Yes i see that again, but a generic, i know it is an older laptop and even for me searching it seems hard to find it from a reputable site and manufacturer except for the Crucial one.

This is of course your choice, we can only advise you and help with problems here.

As said in earlier posts i always first check the manufacturers site of my system for what will work with it, i can not always rely on the internet for correct answers and advice.

I went to Crucials site for my system it told me i can only use 2 - 4GB RAM modules = 8GB, which i had already, but after speaking to my computer manufacturer and checking there web site i found i could go up to 16GB RAM on my motherboard and i did and it works great, no issues.

As you see not always right on web.Always get as much info as you can.

Edited by jds63, 25 May 2014 - 03:27 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Sorry folks I only noted the following " I found a page that says pc2700 ddr333 is for my laptop, heres the link. " and not that the scanner tool had been used  :( a Google search will offer up memory upgrade options without even scanning your computer, example not helpful if the MB has been swapped out for an alternative one.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Sorry folks I only noted the following " I found a page that says pc2700 ddr333 is for my laptop, heres the link. " and not that the scanner tool had been used  :( a Google search will offer up memory upgrade options without even scanning your computer, example not helpful if the MB has been swapped out for an alternative one.

Hey Phill, little lost on that one, you mean doing just a google search instead of using a scanner from a manufacturers web site ? As i said checking the Laptop manufacturer sometimes is the best way, they should know the right answers. But Google can be helpful do not get me wrong.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Sorry if I didn't explain it too well jd  :(

What I was pointing towards was that I did not see it mentioned by reach1 that the link here was the result of the Crucial system scanner tool being used, the Google page that I provided the link to was my attempt to show that just by putting in the brand and model name or number of a computer will bring up suggested memory upgrades - without scanning the computer thus not knowing whether or not the MB had ever been swapped out, which could lead to an incorrect purchase being made.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Sorry if I didn't explain it too well jd  :(

What I was pointing towards was that I did not see it mentioned by reach1 that the link here was the result of the Crucial system scanner tool being used, the Google page that I provided the link to was my attempt to show that just by putting in the brand and model name or number of a computer will bring up suggested memory upgrades - without scanning the computer thus not knowing whether or not the MB had ever been swapped out, which could lead to an incorrect purchase being made.

O.k. Phill,

I understand , i worked on it with this member all i could doing research myself on internet.

But was not easy finding info on this system, even from Gateway's site which would be the first place i would try or to even have the memeber call them, true about MB although being a laptop and an older model.

I do not think he or she is too particular on this matter. As you saw in post  #16 Identifying RAM for my system from Crucial was not too correct, i spoke with my motherboard manufacturer,ASUS.

Edited by jds63, 26 May 2014 - 01:29 PM.

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

follow up; I got my chip today, its a 512mb nanya pc2700. What can I say, it works. I have been using a two minute fourty second video on youtube in 480p to check the frames lost on my pc. When I first used this computer it lossed 1600 frames. I then adjusted or terminated a long variety of settings to get it down under 1000 fps lost. after installing this chip and resetting the graphics accelerator in the display settings by changing it and then returning it to the second notch from the left. My frames lost per second now is under 900 for that video.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hey Reach,

I am glad it worked for you on the RAM.

It was very hard for me to find information from the begining on this Laptop, i don't know what Graphics chip you have that you are using and it's specs.

Youtube isn't in my opinion a good way to test your graphics, you can try this program, evaluation version to better benchmark your video.

https://unigine.com/products/valley/  This will give you FPS. Start off with low settings in this program

You have an option to save it. Post it here for more observation.

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

thanks for the tool but I dont think my graphics are good enough to run it on the lowest setting.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

welcome,worth a try since you were looking to find out FPS.