Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Something is running on every partitions ... Virus infected ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

oem7110

oem7110

• Pip
  • 1 posts

When I remove an unused partition, it shows following error message, and I get no idea what is using it, which is simply 64mb empty space.

Not able to finish, because partition is opened or being used, it could be set as system, bootup, virtual memory or keep a damage printed file.

Partition (T:) is being used at this moment, if you force to remove this partition, please press Yes
Warning: force to remove may cause the application using this partition error accidently, do you want to continue?

After I force to remove it, and create a partition (T:), I remove it again for testing, there is no error message, it seems strange on this partition, does it have any hidden activity on it?

I install a clean XP, and recreate each partition, and test each partition by removing and recreating them, there is no warning message, but after I connect to my old HDD, which keep the backup, then I try to repeat above test procedures by removing and recreating any partition, it shows above warning message again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is going on? Does anyone know any virus performing this behaviours?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :>

Advertisements

Lemurian

Lemurian

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

So, have you found any solution?

I've hoped, some experienced geek would easily find out the solution.

If I had a problem like that, I'd try to force formatting with different software, and even go for low-level format with vendors utility. I don't think any virus is able to survive that:)

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

Topic closed, OP is being helped on another forum