Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a new computer, need opinions

• Please log in to reply

peyote

peyote

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Hi there,

I am going to be building a new computer and would like some more knowledgeable person(s) to confirm that what I have chosen will be suitable. I built my current computer but it was over 5 years ago now and I have not kept up with all the new GPU, CPU etc releases so I really have no idea what is good and what is not. My last build was when the Geforce 9800 GT was adequate for most current games.

Anyway, my current system is;

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz Socket 775 1066MHz FSB 3MB L2 Cache

GPU - ATI Radeon HD 4870

RAM - Kingston 3GB Kit (1x1GB and 1x 2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Non-ecc CL5 Unbuffered 1.8V

PSU - Corsair 500W CX Series PSU

MOBO - ASUS P5N-E SLI

Case - Crappy Maplins (UK) generic case

HD - 500GB

What I am thinking to upgrade to, is;

CPU - AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz Socket AM3+ 14MB Cache

GPU - Sapphire R9 270X OC DUAL-X 2GB GDDR5

RAM - G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V

PSU - Corsair CX 500W Fully Wired 80+ Bronze Power Supply

MOBO - Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 DDR3 ATX

Case - Antec 300 Three Hundred Two Tower Case - with USB 3.0

HD - WD Black 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5-inch SATA 6 7200 RPM 64 MB

Optical drive - Samsung SH-224DB 24X Internal DVD Writer with SATA

I got this list above for the new build from this website which I think was a good starting place; http://lifehacker.co...or-600-and-1200 (due to not building a PC since 2009/10.

I can get all the components listed above for the new build for only £525 in the UK. So if there is anything that can be changed or upgraded further than please say as I could spend a bit more money. But what is most important, do the parts listed above work togther and equate to a half decent gaming/all rounder PC ?

Edited by peyote, 25 May 2014 - 06:16 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:    peyote

Not a bad list of parts but there are two items missing, a MB and an OS such as Windows 7/8/8.1 64-bit.

Will the computers main use be gaming, if you plan on rendering videos or 3D design for example/s you would need more Ram.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Thanks!

Ah yes, missed the MOBO, added it now to the list but it is - Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 DDR3 ATX

Was going to ask what operating system would be good, using Basic Vista at the moment and have been since it was released I think.

Main use will be casual gaming but maybe not high end games. My current system runs Star Craft II on nearly, but no quite, full settings but I understand this is not a demanding game but I would like my new build to handle so reasonably demanding games. Other uses are just general stuff like web browsing and basic applications, not demanding at all and no rendering videos or 3D design.

Edited by peyote, 25 May 2014 - 06:33 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome  :)

Now we have confirmed your intended use we can see what we can get cost wise for your present parts and/or by suggesting any better less expensive components, please note that the cost of an OS will push your budget to circa £600, Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM on disk would be my suggestion, if you went for Windows 7 for example you would need to upgrade/pay out for a new OS when support for Windows 7 ends, many feel that this will be a lot sooner than it was with XP.

You do not need a 6 core CPU for gaming btw but if it is a cost effective alternative to a quad core it would make sense to go that way.

I will be back with a list of parts shortly.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Looking at some OP now and not sure what I should get, Windows 7/8/8.1 32 or 64 bit ???

Is this ok for it;

http://www.ebuyer.co...dia-1-gfc-02050

?

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

You are welcome  :)

Now we have confirmed your intended use we can see what we can get cost wise for your present parts and/or by suggesting any better less expensive components, please note that the cost of an OS will push your budget to circa £600, Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM on disk would be my suggestion, if you went for Windows 7 for example you would need to upgrade/pay out for a new OS when support for Windows 7 ends, many feel that this will be a lot sooner than it was with XP.

You do not need a 6 core CPU for gaming btw but if it is a cost effective alternative to a quad core it would make sense to go that way.

I will be back with a list of parts shortly.

Thank you! I might as well go with Windows 8.1 then although I just read some quick reviews and they don't sound great but Vista had atrouscious reviews when it was released and I thought it was ok and user friendly, there are always haters of new OP I suppose. but 32 or 64 bit? I remember researching this for Vista and settle for 32 bit but can’t remember why.

Ok so as I will be using 8gb RAM, and as you mentioned 64 bit will be best. Hard to tell the difference between the two, both OEM, 64 bit, 8.1. Which one should I choose?

http://www.ebuyer.co...-pack-fqc-06949

http://www.ebuyer.co...k-dvd-wn7-00614

Edited by peyote, 25 May 2014 - 07:13 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Two reasons why you should choose a 64-bit OS, a 32-bit OS would not recognise any more that 3.75GB of Ram + 8GB of ram is the sweet spot for the average user.

Are you looking to reuse the present PSU or purchase a new one, new would be best if the present CX 500 is a couple of years old, you want to be able to get 5+ years out of this build minimum.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

peyote list of parts

New more powerful PSU included as a used 500W PSU will not outlast the demands of the GPU.

Edited by phillpower2, 25 May 2014 - 07:08 AM.
Link added.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Two reasons why you should choose a 64-bit OS, a 32-bit OS would not recognise any more that 3.75GB of Ram + 8GB of ram is the sweet spot for the average user.

Are you looking to reuse the present PSU or purchase a new one, new would be best if the present CX 500 is a couple of years old, you want to be able to get 5+ years out of this build minimum.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

peyote list of parts

New more powerful PSU included as a used 500W PSU will not outlast the demands of the GPU.

Thanks for the list! Looking at it now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:thumbsup:

Let us know what you think or if you have any questions.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Windows 8 64 bit is out of stock at overclock with no ETA, would any of these be ok instead and is it worth getiing 8.1 ?;

http://www.ebuyer.co...-pack-fqc-06949

http://www.ebuyer.co...k-dvd-wn7-00614

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I was trying to save you some cash as upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1 is free, updated list here

I have Windows 8.1 Pro on each of my computers but you may not feel the extra cash that it costs is justified, so the option here may be more appropriate.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

I was trying to save you some cash as upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1 is free, updated list here

I have Windows 8.1 Pro on each of my computers but you may not feel the extra cash that it costs is justified, so the option here may be more appropriate.

Ah I see, so how about this one if upgrading is free, the non-pro version;

http://www.ebuyer.co...d-oem-wn7-00403 only £72.88, sorry if being nitpicky.

Also the PSU is out of stock at Scan, would this be ok as an alternative; http://www.ebuyer.co...u-cp-9020077-uk

Edited by peyote, 25 May 2014 - 08:29 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are not being picky at all  :no:

Did you miss my earlier link, the disk here is your best option.

The full modular PSU only has a 3 year warranty as does the semi modular version, your case has plenty of room so go for the less expensive 600W which still allows for adding a couple of additional HDDs in the future, this one here

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Can I ask why you suggested Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory over G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V

The Corsair is slightly more expansive and both have a limited lifetime warranty - just curious as I am not sure of the difference if any but only Corsair is a known brand to me.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I checked the MBs QVL (qualified vendors list) and it shows that the Corsair Ram has been tested and approved by ASUS when 2 X 4GB of Ram where inserted in the memory slots, I did not see 2 X 4GB of G. Skill tested and approved only 4 X 4GB sticks, the extra couple of pounds I feel is better spent now than possibly having to spend more later on postage costs should the G. Skill Ram not work out and need to be returned, the MBs memory support QVL can be found here

As an asides peyote I used the very same G. Skill Ram in my new build last year and it is very good, over to you if you feel that the G. Skill Ram is worth trying.