Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a new computer, need opinions

• Please log in to reply

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Cool! I read a few people say that G.Skill and Asus M5A97 are compatible so will give it ago.

So I have ordered all the parts, thanks to your help and reassurance, but I did decide to go with the FX-6300 becuase they seem to have such good reviews and seems like a better CPU when compared and didn't mind spending the extra money, which wasnt much. So the spec will be;

CPU - AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz Socket AM3+ 14MB Cache

GPU - Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II                                         

RAM - G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V

PSU - Corsair CXM 600W Semi Modular 80+ Bronze Power Supply

MOBO - Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 DDR3 ATX

Case - Antec 300 Three Hundred Two Tower Case - with USB 3.0

HD - WD Black 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5-inch SATA 6 7200 RPM 64 MB

Optical drive - Samsung SH-224DB 24X Internal DVD Writer with SATA

OS - Windows 8.1 64 bit OEM

I'm guessing the Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II, which is the one I went for, is slightly better than the one I originally mentioned; Sapphire R9 270X OC DUAL-X 2GB GDDR5.

Anyway, all bought and all should arrive on Wednesday so can't wait to put it together. All purchased for £625.01, less than than some pre-build units I was looking at and the components probably would not have been as good quality :yeah:

Thanks for all the help! Much appreciated!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

You have put together a list of parts that are all known for their quality and performance, you don`t always get that from system builders and they often skimp on one of the most important components which is the brand of PSU that they use.

Fully understand your choice of CPU  :thumbsup:

The GPU that I selected is faster than the Sapphire that is all  :)

From now until Wednesday I would download whatever manuals that you can and familiarise yourself with them so as to make the build go more smoothly.

You are most welcome btw and keep us posted or ask any questions that you may have.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

An alternative search tool, OS.

http://www.staticice...dows 8.1&spos=3

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Could you recommend a decent internal card reader for the build above. Done a search but they seem either really cheap or really expensive. Just needs to read SD cards, have some USB ports and maybe audio ports, nothing fancy and don't mind spending some money, would rather have quality than a really cheap one but as I just need it to read SD cards and easy access to USB ports then I don't want to spend loads of money.

Also, I ordered a Crucial 256GB M550 SATA 6GB/s 2.5" SSD - http://www.dabs.com/...tid=15004&src=3

Planning to install the OS and apps that I use a lot so that they load faster. Do you think I will have any issues installing it with the build above? Done some reading already from what others have experienced and I do not think there will be any issues.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Can't advice on a internal card reader as I only use a fairly cheap plug into USB type which is still going after about 4 years.

Good move with the SSD.   It is a bare drive, does not include a SATA cable.   Check to see how many included with the MB.   You may have to buy one if you have non spare.

Some info on building.

3 videos from Newegg, gives all the info you will need, I prefer a different order of installation. 

https://www.google.c...l2547l2-5.4l9l0

The G2G How To,  > http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Just go with a generic one than I think.

As for the cables, there are 3 x SATA 6Gb/s with the mobo and one has a right angle. Won't know if that is enough until I start putting it together but will look at those videos, thanks.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Building now I have a question, one of many no doubt.

The R9 270x graphics card and the mobo is M5A97 EVO R2.0. I have 2 slots, PCIEx16 1 and 2; which slot is best to install the graphics card?

Edited by peyote, 04 June 2014 - 09:49 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

The blue PCI-E X16 slot nearest the CPU.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Got it! Thanks.

I have few more questions :)

I have everything installed and I am trying to connect each component up to the MoBo and PSU. This is where I am struggling a bit.

Firstly, the main power connecters on the PSU, I have 2 main cables that are built into the PSU (the rest are connected manually). I have one labelled CPU (8 pin) and one 24 pin. I have connected the 24 pin but the only place to connect the 8 pin, that I can see, is a socket labelled "EPU" on the MoBo, does this 8 pin need connecting ? Edit* just checked again and the 8 pin socket on the MoBo could be labelled "EATX12V" actually.

Second, connecting the GPU, the PSU has a socket labelled (not very well) "6+2 PCI-E" which is 6 pin and another socket labelled "4+4 CPU" which is 8 pin. Now the cable ( I assume) I need to attach has a 8 pin, and 2x 6pin + 2 pin optional add-ons. The GPU has 2x 6pin sockets. So, assuming I need to use the a socket on the PSU labelled "6+2 PCI-E" I would need 3x 6pin plugs, one for the PSU and 2 for the GPU but the only cable that seems to be specifically for the GPU install has 8 pin and 2x 6pin (with +2pin add ons). Do I use the  "6+2 PCI-E" or the ""4+4 CPU"? If I use the "4+4 CPU" socket then it makes sense but it makes more sense to use the one labelled "6+2 PCI-E". I have uploaded 3 images to help it explain this better.

More confusingly, the cable that came with the GPU has 1x6pin with 2x 4 pin sockets containing 3 pins each, do I need to use this instead ?!?! There is another cable that came with the PSU that will fit the two sockets but has a 6 pin connector which 2 pins are empty so looks dubious to use this cable.

Finally, cables attached to the case have an option for either USB 2.0 or USB 3.0, only one or the other can be connected but which one should I connect?

Thanks for the help! hope my questions are clear.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0506.JPG
  • IMG_0507.JPG
  • IMG_0509.JPG
  • IMG_0508.JPG

Edited by peyote, 04 June 2014 - 03:13 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Firstly, the main power connecters on the PSU, I have 2 main cables that are built into the PSU (the rest are connected manually). I have one labelled CPU (8 pin) and one 24 pin. I have connected the 24 pin but the only place to connect the 8 pin, that I can see, is a socket labelled "EPU" on the MoBo, does this 8 pin need connecting ? Edit* just checked again and the 8 pin socket on the MoBo could be labelled "EATX12V" actually.

Yes connect the 8 pin plug as that is what powers your CPU.

Second, connecting the GPU, the PSU has a socket labelled (not very well) "6+2 PCI-E" which is 6 pin and another socket labelled "4+4 CPU" which is 8 pin. Now the cable ( I assume) I need to attach has a 8 pin, and 2x 6pin + 2 pin optional add-ons. The GPU has 2x 6pin sockets. So, assuming I need to use the a socket on the PSU labelled "6+2 PCI-E" I would need 3x 6pin plugs, one for the PSU and 2 for the GPU but the only cable that seems to be specifically for the GPU install has 8 pin and 2x 6pin (with +2pin add ons). Do I use the  "6+2 PCI-E" or the ""4+4 CPU"? If I use the "4+4 CPU" socket then it makes sense but it makes more sense to use the one labelled "6+2 PCI-E". I have uploaded 3 images to help it explain this better.

You can use the 2 Xs 6+2 pin connections for your GPU as that is what they are for, some cards have an 8 pin connection  so the 6+2 are both inserted to become 8 pin, you just need to secure the unused 2 Xs 2 pin connections so they are not loose.

More confusingly, the cable that came with the GPU has 1x6pin with 2x 4 pin sockets containing 3 pins each, do I need to use this instead ?!?! There is another cable that came with the PSU that will fit the two sockets but has a 6 pin connector which 2 pins are empty so looks dubious to use this cable.

Disregard these and stick with the supplied Corsair cables.

Finally, cables attached to the case have an option for either USB 2.0 or USB 3.0, only one or the other can be connected but which one should I connect?

USB 3.0 as it is backward compatible.

Advertisements

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Thanks for the reply PhillPower2! all makes sense just want to check one thing from the list of questions as all the rest makes sense. So I connect both 6+2 pin plugs to the GPU and I connect the 8 pin plug to the PSU ? The 8 pin socket on the PSU looks to be labelled "4+4 CPU" (first image above), which is why the confusion, is this correct?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Connect the eight-pin +12V (EPS12V) (second fixed cable from the psu) to the motherboard (top left of the MB) #1 on page 7

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Gday.

Connect the eight-pin +12V (EPS12V) (second fixed cable from the psu) to the motherboard (top left of the MB) #1 on page 7

Got it thanks, its connected. Just have to connect the GPU now, the only component left to connect. Used the manual to look up connecting the LEDs, HDA etc. but the manual lacks any info on GPU installation and the manual with the R9 270x and the CX600M is shocking, so want to confirm PowersPhill2 solution before I switch it on. So far it has taken me 9 hours to get this far :no:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Don't fret about the time, took me about 2 days for my first build, if you are getting tired or frustrated, take a break or bed, and start again tomorrow.

Yes Phillpowers2's instructions are correct.   Install the video card in the Navy blue slot, closest to the CPU.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

How many Hard drives have you installed?

Edit.

Seen you have a SSD and a HDD.   Please make sure that only the SSD is connected to the MB while you install the OS, (connect to SATA socket #1,

This is to safeguard against windows installing any part of the OS on the HDD..