Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building a new computer, need opinions

• Please log in to reply

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

I have a Crucial M550 SSD installed ready for the OS installation and then when the OS is installed I will connect the WD 1 TB 3.5-inch SATA HD, So will have 2 come the end.  Edit* Your previous post iammykl, yes, will connect the HD after the instal for the reason you mentioned but thanks for pointing out what number it should be plugged into, not looked that.

Also, I have the GPU installed, as PhillPower2 advised, literally all I have left to do is connect the GPU to the PSU. If you look at the images on page 2, the first image, should I use that 8 pin bottom socket to to connect the GPU. The cable I have has 8 pin at one end with 2x 6+2 pins at the other. The reason I want to confirm if this is right as the 8 pin socket on the PSU (1st image page 2) seems to be labelled "4+4 CPU" and is 6 pin and socket above it seems to be labelled "6+2 PCIE" and is 6 pin. Just want to know which on I should be using.

If I use the top one (1st image page 2), "6+2 PCIE"  6 pin, I do not have a cable that will fit the 2x 6pin GPU sockets but this seems the more logical one to use, mainly becuase it is labelled PCIE and not GPU.

If I use the bottom one (1st image page 2), labelled "4+4 CPU" and is 8 pin then I do have a cable with 2x 6pin sockets for the GPU but the fact it seems to be labelled "4+4 CPU" has me confused.

Sorry if this has all got confusing or I am making it sound more complicated or not being clear - a newbie as you can tell.

Also, just looked at the manual online for CX600M and it says it has only "1x 4+4-pin (CPU, works as either 4 or 8-pin)" so is this the empty 8 pin socket on the PSU or the fixed cable with the 8 pin socket labelled "CPU" that connects to the MoBo in the top left ??? Sooo very confused.

Here is a better image of the one I posted on page 2;

*Edit, ok looks like this guy had the exact same issue, even used the same image I found but I bothered to rotate it :prop: , and he didn't die when he switched it on so it looks like the 8 pin empty slot can be used for PCI-E to connect the GPU to the PSU even if it seems that that slot is labelled "4+4 CPU", corsoir should replace the ampersand with "or", be less confusing, it it works that is, going to lie down and will test it in the morning now, after checking this post for health warnings first :wave:

http://pcpartpicker....connector-issue

Attached Thumbnails

• corsair-cx600m-psu_connectors.jpg

Edited by peyote, 04 June 2014 - 07:50 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Those manuals are shocking  :(

As iammykyl has advised the two hard wired PSU cables should be connected to the two ATX power supply sockets on the MB, the GPU is then powered by the modular 8 pin (4+4 pin) socket on the PSU using the 8 pin to the 2 X 6+2 pin cables supplied, this because this port provides the +12V and amps that your GPU requires, please remember to secure the two unused X 2 pin connectors using either insulation tape or small cable ties and then cutting off the tails on the ties to prevent them possible getting trapped in a cooling fan etc. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Please check the following before powering up.

The CPU fan is connected to the CPU fan header on the MB, the rear exhaust fan is connected to the SYS1 header on the MB.

Only the SSD is connected, use the #1 SATA port.   Follow any speceial instruction required for the installation of the SSD. 

Turn on the monitor, > turn on the PSU, > press the DirectKey on the MB, see page #26.

Your computer will boot to the EZ mode BIOS screen, at the bottom left, > dreg the HDD icon to the left to make it the first Boot device.

> press F7 on the keyboard, BOIS wlll change to the Advanced screen.

On the Main screen, > set the language, date and time.

Open the DVD tray, insert the OS disk, leave the tray open.

> Press F10 on the keyboard, > select yes if prompted,  the computer will reboot and the Windows installation screen will be displayed for you to start the install.

When Windows Boots to the desktop.

Click the clock on the Task bar, >  check the time is set correctly, > set your region and time zone, > click apply, OK.

Remove the OS disk, > inset the MB diver disk, leave the tray open, > restart the computer using the case button.   When the criver par finishes, you should get the option to install utilities, > click on Custom install.   Up to you, but I do not install any free or trial software.

When complete, install the GPU drivers and software.   When you reboot, you should be at a functioning system, and deserve a break. 

Please post back before proceeding further. 

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

It works ! :yeah:

OS is installed on the SSD and all driver etc are in stalled for the MoBo,GPU etc.

I have 2 potential problems though. First, when the comp is off but the PSU is on and connected, there is a high pitched noise coming form the PSU, it sounds like a high pitched electrical frequency noise if you know what I mean. Is this normal ? The way I have the comp on my desk, the PSU is almost next to my head which is why I noticed the noise.

The other problem, I know you said stop proceeding after installing drivers and software but I plugged in the WD 1TB HD and the comp is not recognising it, only the Crucial SSD and the DVD RW is showing but when look in device manager I can see it, just can access it. I have tried it in different sata slots e.g. SATA6G_2 and restarted the comp but still not showing up.

On the plus side, it shuts down and boots up in seconds and the whole thing is so quite compared to my previous comp, thought none of the fans were working at first, it was that quite.

Anyway, hope you can help and thanks for the help so far.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Ok looks like I found the problem, It was showing in the BIOs and the Device Mangager but not in "my computer", took ages to figure this out but followed this and it seems to be formatiing now which seems to be what the probelm was i.e. unformatted new hard drive not being recognised;

http://www.pcworld.c...in_windows.html

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Well done.

I have not moved to W8.1, so if Phillpower2 gives alternative advise, please go with him.  Are you going to use IE or use a different browser?

Please post back with your thoughts and questions before starting any tweaking. 

Some info, > http://www.howtogeek...ut-windows-8.1/

Please watch this video, > 

I don't think you should move the Desktop or Programs folders.   You will need to do some research on the OneDrive and it's use..

I advise creating a manual restore point when making any alterations,.installations, and name, "before, Blah Blah" 

As far as I can gather, W8.1 security is very good and there is no need for any 3rd party software but a lot of users install a, on demand scanner, i.e. malwarebytes.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Not going to use IE, going to use Mozilla Firefox. Do you know how I can extract all my saved data from my other computers Firefox/Mozilla, such as bookmarks, passwords and user names to websites, etc ? The most important is the saved user names and passwords to shops and forums which appeaered automatically when I vistited the websites n my previous comp.

So at the moment all the everyday programmes I use such as the browser, Dymo label printer, a game I play almost daily etc. are all on the SSD so they launch faster. I have formatted and allocated the HD and named it E so now have a C drive which is the SSD and an E drive which is the HDD. Getting the HDD to work was a pain as it came with no CDs, Manuals, cables, just the drive and figuring out how to format it in Windows 8 wasn't that obvious at all, anyway done now and its working as expected.Hopefully that link will help others as found a lot of posts with people having the exact same problem.

That video was very useful as I did do some reading while waiting for parts and it was common to see people adising not to rename the C drive or move too many folders about but that video helped show actually what to do. However, I have noticed some programes, when they are downloaded, install straight to the C drive and install under C drive> This PC> User name> and then depending on the download, contacts, downloads, desktop, music videos etc. Is there a way of moving and setting, what ever downloads/installs, the default to the HDD ? I know the video shows how to move the download folder to the SSD but then any future downloads, will they default to the HDD or will they download to the SDD again from a new folder?

As for security, I have not looked into this much but I have seen a few places say that no third party Anti-Virus programme would be needed for the reason you mentioned and if I did use one, it could conflict with the windows security. Will look at this further though but will probably get a on demand scanner.

Will take some getting used to Windows 8 after using Vista so long. As I do not own a smart phone or tablet, this now feels like a giant tablet with the Apps page and scrollong to reveal other parts of the screen. If you know a way of getting it to boot straight to the desktop without having to click on the desk top "square" that would be great. Also, as I do not need to know how far the FTSE or the DOW has climbed or fallen or the weather forcast the screen it boots into is useless and annoying to me, would prefer a "normal" desktop.

One last thing, that whining/bussing electrical sound is still coming from the PSU, do you thing I should contact the seller or Corsair and get it replaced? It is very slightly audible when the room is dead silent and now the case covers are on.

Edited by peyote, 06 June 2014 - 06:40 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Re. PSU.   Contact the seller, telling them that it has an unacceptable noisy coil whine and request a RMA, (return merchant authority)

Moving you profile.  I use Chrome so can only give hints.   If you are moving your profile from an older version of Firefox to a newer one, test that any extensions work correctly.

Two methods on this link, I would try the MozBacup. > http://lifehacker.co...-a-new-computer

The latest version MozBackup 1.5.2 Beta 1, does appear to be stable,  > http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

and some info, > http://kb.mozillazine.org/MozBackup

I will address your other questions this evening.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Firefox, downloads, If you have moved your downloads folder in the OS to D, then in Firefox, To change which folder is used, click Browse….to that folder, which will than be the Default location and will not change back to the original path.   If you then click the radio button, Always ask me where to save files: you then have a choice as sometimes you may wish to save to the Desktop.  The Default path will still be set the next time you download.

https://support.mozi...wnload-settings

Main Help page, > https://support.mozi...fox/get-started

I have noticed some programes, when they are downloaded, install straight to the C drive and install under C drive> This PC> User name> and then depending on the download, contacts, downloads, desktop, music videos etc

A new programs should not be downloaded and installed automatically, it should be saved to the download folder or Desktop, you can then scan for infections, then click it to run the installation Wizard so you have control of where to install, what short-cuts etc. to install and look carefully for sneaky third party additions like search engines, browser helpers etc.   If you are forced to have the add ons, or, if you are forced to use a download manager, cancel and look elsewhere.

Downloading things like music, videos, will show the default path, but you should still be able to browse to where you want the Data to go.   Add ons, plug ins or updates to existing software on the computer should be left as the default path.

Look carefully at every program you install so you can control how it behaves.   Have only the essential programs starting with window, Set programs like Office to Manual startup.   Where possible, I set program updates to, "Notify me of updates, but do not download", this give me a choice.

For changing the look of the Desktop, have a look at both links before tweaking, am still using W7, so can't answer specific questions.  

http://windows.micro...to-classic-view

http://www.pcworld.c...ows-8-1-pc.html

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Just acknowledging that I am following the thread, iammykyl has covered all bases and unless a Windows 8.1 question arises I am but a bystander  :popcorn:

Advertisements

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Thank you both! I think its a matter of slowly installing all the programmes I need that were on my last comp and making some tweaks and such now. Thanks for the all the links, advice and great help, would not have been able to do this build with out the advice from geekstogo.com and you both so thanks!

Edited by peyote, 07 June 2014 - 12:16 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Your are welcome .peyote.

Unlike older windows systems whee you tweaked by, disabling some serviecs, Pagefile, super fetch, etc.  with W6 and later, there is little point in doing such things as the windows is very good at managing such things, in fact, you can in some respects, degrade performance.   As I mentioned, limiting what starts with windows is about all I would do.

Do not defrag the SSD, it will not enhance performance and may well shorten the life of the drive.

Do not use Reg cleaners/optimizing software, again it will not give better performance but may well cause instability or damage to the system.

Backup you Date to an external source and investigate creating a drive image.

i.e. > http://www.howtogeek...on-windows-8.1/

http://www.avoiderro...estore-from-it/

Phillpower2 :cool:  :thumbsup: 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Good work and sound advice folks  :thumbsup: