Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

black screen after a reboot

• Please log in to reply

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Hi I am new here, so after reading through page after page for an answer to my problem, with no luck...I hope this is where I can post my question... I have 5 different older towers, 2 different Compaq's, a small form hp, a asus and a Acer aspire, all have the same problem...the towers work great after a fresh install of vista or windows7, but as soon as I do the driver updates or windows updates...Upon RESTART I lose the display, the tower powers up, fans run etc, but the curser will just sits and blinks for hours, or until I do a forced shut down, then when I restart the display will work...

I have changed hard drives, cables, even videos cards in theses systems, no luck with updating bios as well, I have even done a hard boot, nothing worked...as long as I shut down and use the power button to start them they work great...Its the restart, that stops display from coming on...can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong? thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Hello  

PcGirl1966

....  Welcome to
GeeksToGo,   :thumbsup:
:ph34r: :yes:  

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.

•  
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  •   Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.
  • If you are receiving assistance in any other forum site please let us know as there may be conflicting advice given.

Try this and let me know if it works.

Go HERE to read about this and how to fix.

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Hi...Thanks for your reply...I just wanted to add, that right now I can restart my Hewitt Packer Compaq over and over with no issues...fresh install of vista home basic...but as soon as I update the drivers or do any windows updates...that's when I get the black screen with the cursor flashing... 

I did read the post that you sent me, and tho it is similar to mine, I can still get into vista...till I update it(that's where the display fails, on restart only)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Ironic I'm helping someone on another site with the exact same issue.

I suspect it is the video driver causing the issue. Is your video card a ATI and it is installing the Catalyst Suite?

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

oh ok...How do I find out weather my video card is a ATI??? My display adapter is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500

And sorry not sure what you mean by; it ist installing the Catalyst Suite???

Edited by PcGirl1966, 25 May 2014 - 07:07 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

OK after a little research I found that card is fairly old. I found topics dated back to 2009 on that same card with Vista. 

Lets try this a different way if you don't mind.

Instead of using Windows update I would like you to try the following. I specifically am looking for any entry that says NVidia on it in the list.

I would like you to provide the screenshots before doing anything else so that I can find the right entry or entries for you to update in order as to not cause any problems.

Also can you tell me the make and model of your monitor please.

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Thank you...I am willing to try anything at this point,  like I said before I have 5 different towers that are doing this exact same thing...For starters...I am not running a monitor, I am using a 32 inch RCA flat screen TV, with a vga cable hook up...I do have flat screen monitors that I could hook up and try, but have not yet...

I am sorry, each pic I tried to upload says "File is to big to upload", just to let you know in the updates I did not find anything in regards to Nvidia

Can you tell me how to send you the screen shot of the list of updates...Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Are you saving the files as jpeg and not as the default bmp?

BMP will be to large to upload.

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

No they are jpg...I resized them to send , so I hope you can see them...

Attached Thumbnails

• php3lqZi4AM.jpg
  • phpLHHwodAM.jpg
  • phpnk7sZxAM.jpg
  • phpxLxMOHAM.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Ok I made a slight blunder when I asked for the screenshots. I actually wanted you to download the following and supply the list it creates of all the drivers it says are out of date.

Download DriverMax and have it scan your system. It will open their website with all the out of date drivers you can update. With the free version you can update only 2 drivers per day so if you have a lot of them it will take a few days to get everything updated. I have been using it for about a year now and like it better then any other utility out there for keeping my drivers up to date.
If you want you can post screenshots of all the drivers in the list that need to be updated and I will suggest in what order to get them.

Advertisements

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

I downloaded DriverMax ran the program, but did not down load anything...and now on restart my monitor flashes to Compaq start screen then to flashing cursor... tries to reload and just keeps going from screen to screen...but does not load windows vista...

Just to let you know, a couple of days ago I switched this tower to a Acer 19 lcd monitor(no longer attached to my TV), no issues restarting then either...So when I downloaded and ran DriverMax to scan for drivers, the monitor was already attached and working on restart with out a issue...

Edited by PcGirl1966, 27 May 2014 - 07:51 PM.

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

pics of drivers that pulled up

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-05-27 18.53.47.jpg
  • 2014-05-27 18.54.06.jpg
  • 2014-05-27 18.54.23.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

OK well the very first one in the list is for the video card so I suggest getting that one downloaded and installed.

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Downloaded and installed the first update...on restart...screens flash from Compaq screen to blinking cursor screen...back and forth but does not start vista...till I shut done and powered back on...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Strange can you try to start in Safe Mode and see if that happens please.