Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

black screen after a reboot

• Please log in to reply

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

ok...I am going to try a different vista disk, and see if I have the same problem...Will let you know the out come...thanks

Advertisements

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Just an update on my Compaq tower...I have installed my OEM vista program on it, have even changed the hard drive...and the only change is on restart now, it is just a straight black screen, no cursor or flashing from one screen to another...I can still start it with no issues on shut down...but not restart...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Strange.... since it is a OEM disk is it the OEM for the Compaq and what serial number are you using?
What was the original OS on the Compaq?

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

The original operating system on this Compaq was windows xp...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So is the OEM Vista disk for the Compaq or another system?
Also you didn't answer to what serial number you are using for the installation.

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

this OEM, lets you choose which system you are installing it on...weather it be Compaq, acer dell etc...the serial number that install with the disk...it does not ask me for one

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the problem is the drivers will be different for each system and I believe that is where your issue is coming from. I have never seen a disk that does this unless it is bootlegged in some way.

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

ok, I use the slimdriver software to scan for drivers and then install them already...no luck...I am thinking about just parting it out, cause I cant fix this issue...Before I came to this site...I have tried all that we have tried and more, which includes, changing all cables, ram, video card, hard drive, etc, a little at a time, that's why I came here hoping maybe someone could find what I was missing...the only program that I can put on this tower with out the restart issue is windows xp, and the disk I have for that is not even an original one...

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

I have one more thing I am going to try, and that's swapping out the video card I put it...and see how the system works after that...Thanks so much for all you help, it was greatly appreciated :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That sounds more like the system cannot run Vista if that works with XP with no problems. Even the OEM of XP will work as you should have the original serial number for the system.

Advertisements

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

thanks...Yes, with XP, there is no issues except unable to update...so I think your right about not being able to upgrade...I am a little surprised to, it really is not that old of a system I think 2009?? I have been able to update ones older then that...it could have something to do with Compaq as I have another one that does the same thing...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you contacted Compaq and asked them if that system is capable of being updated to Vista?

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

They do not offer any person to person for for that computer as they said the warranty ran out in 2010, I have checked out the site for all kinds of help in regards to this issue for that specific tower...and the issues addressing the black screen on restart on vista, but they claim it is needing a bio update, and I tried what they said, but no fix, and then again I am not sure that I am doing it right either...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the make and model of this Compaq we are dealing with?

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Hewlett Packard Compaq

S# USV3270JP5

Product # 268899-999