Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

black screen after a reboot

• Please log in to reply

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

ok, will try that...

Advertisements

dabooj

dabooj

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi,

I know this is an old post and i'm sorry for jumping in but i have the same issue as mentioned here, where my HP PC boots fine into (fresh install) Windows 7 but everytime i do a restart from Win7, the PC boots up past the POST but does not get to the Windows logo screen. i just get a black blank screen. No cursor. Windows 7 does not seem to continue loading in the background (almost like the PC stops at this point).

If i switch the PC off from power button then it will restart fine into windows from cold start.

I was going to ask if you managed to find a solution to your issue, which was similar to the one i'm having?

Please let me know if you have any details.

Thanks,

Shuja

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Hi dabooj

The original OP did not reply if the problem was resolved but we can take a look at your system.

First thing is I need to know what if any diagnostics on hardware you run on your own.

First step is to check your HD for errors so I would like you to do the following.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (chose "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the  Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Hi,

I know this is an old post and i'm sorry for jumping in but i have the same issue as mentioned here, where my HP PC boots fine into (fresh install) Windows 7 but everytime i do a restart from Win7, the PC boots up past the POST but does not get to the Windows logo screen. i just get a black blank screen. No cursor. Windows 7 does not seem to continue loading in the background (almost like the PC stops at this point).

If i switch the PC off from power button then it will restart fine into windows from cold start.

I was going to ask if you managed to find a solution to your issue, which was similar to the one i'm having?

Please let me know if you have any details.

Thanks,

Shuja

ok, will try that...

I had no luck finding a solution to the problem I had posted...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Let me know what the HD diagnostics finds if anything.

dabooj

dabooj

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Thanks for the reply @PcGirl1966. I've had no luck either so far.

@rshaffer61 - i will try the HD diagnostics you suggested and let you know the results. But here's the full details of what i've tried so far:

PC: HP Compaq Pentium D 2.80ghz, 2gb Ram, 500gb Sata HDD. Graphics is an integrated motherboard one.

- After fresh windows 7 install and updates, the PC works fine from cold boot. No issues at all in windows. But after EVERY restart the PC screen blacks out after POST and goes no where.

- I tried full updates of drivers and re-install of graphics driver but no luck.

- I cleared CMOS and removed motherboard battery but no luck.

- I tried modifying some settings in BIOS but no luck. I tried reset to factory defaults but no luck either. 

- I tried RAM a stick at a time but no difference. Memory diagnostics showed RAM seems fine.

- I tried a PCI graphics card but no luck.

- I tried HP's diagnostics tool and ran most of the tests but there were no issues.

- I tried a different monitor & cable but no difference.

- I tried removing any non-essential peripherals but still no luck

- When black screen appears after restart, i can switch the PC down with a single click of the power button. Hence, i am able to boot from a cold start instantly after a restart black screen. This kind of eliminates CPU overheating (i think!), as i'm almost instantly powering up the PC after a black screen so the CPU heat issue would still remain. Yet from the cold start it always boots up and goes into windows fine.

The only things i can think of that are left to test are: Try the HD diagnostics, try a new hard drive, try a new fresh install and run updates one-by-one to see if any of these cause the issue. 

I can't think of any other tests to try and find the cause of this issue. Really irritating and frustrating problem!

Shuja

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Where did the Windows installation disk you are using come from if I can ask?

dabooj

dabooj

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Sorry, i forgot to mention the Windows 7 installation is OEM copy BUT i have installed this successfully on another PC to test it and it works fine. The version i have is cracked so serial/key is not required. Only installed for testing as PC owners purchase license in order to install genuine version. But at the moment i can't recommend this to the owner, as i can't get this restart issue sorted - and i'm not comfortable telling the owner that everything works but just don't restart the PC!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

OK when you install the OS finally it is the OEM version and not a cracked version?

If you have a OEM why not install it to make sure there is no issues with it?

The client can then purchase a license to make it activated and validated.

I still am wondering about the HD myself.

dabooj

dabooj

• Pip
  • 6 posts

The HD was taken from a working PC BUT it was used as a storage backup HD and not as an OS boot drive.

I will have to try another HD and try the OEM install and see what happens.

Shuja

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Yeah a storage drive may work without a issue but a OS drive is a different animal.

Let me know if a different HD works.

PcGirl1966

PcGirl1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
In my case I had this happen on more then 1 tower...as for me I think my problem is my installation disk...not my computers... Thanks for all your help tho on this topic, I appreciated it immensely...This is a great site, with some awesome people, willing to help :) Again, thanks all!!!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Thanks PCGirl1966 for your response. Have you replaced the installation disk and has the issue resolved?

dabooj

dabooj

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi guys,

Here's some updates on further tests carried out:

- Installed a different OEM Windows 7 on the same HD but still no luck. This time i was able to check if the restart issue occurred before any win updates were installed. The answer was yes, it does. Funnily enough, during win 7 installation, i recall the installation restarts the PC automatically on a few occassions but the black hanging screen never occurs during installation. Only after full install and when restarting from within windows.

- I removed the DVD player (the only unnecessary periphery item left) but no luck.

- I had been using a wireless keyboard and mouse so i replaced them with wired USB ones. No Luck.

- I replaced hard drive with the original 40gb Sata drive and installed a fresh copy of windows 7. No luck.

- I then decided to give up BUT thought i'd try an install of Windows XP. After installing XP the restart black screen issue does not occur anymore. I can power up and restart from windows as normally expected!

Obviously, this doesn't resolve the win7 restart issue. Also, the PC may have been designed with XP originally installed but the spec is now more than capable of running windows 7 and running it well, as is proven when you cold start the machine) so why would this PC have problems restarting from windows 7?

Really strange.

Not sure this helps anyone but at least you know what i've tried in resolving the issue.

Shuja

Edited by dabooj, 19 September 2014 - 03:27 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Go HERE to read about this and how to fix.

http://www.geekstogo...en-t159277.html